spotted a dave yates

Nice buy Sinnerman.....
I was sorely tempted myself but got Rocky and old Giant Super Sierra to build :)

Looking forward to another of your mighty building tales....

sinnerman":3n2q7xrd said:
Pete, intrigued at your analysis of the DAVE YATES as a custom builder, with a range of mountain bike frames. (all be it only two ) the diablo and the D.O.N.K.I.S .N.O.B.

Im surprised you are so quick to dismiss the the welding quality of a craftsman"s frame, based basically on the amount he built, to achieve a pricepoint.

There was no dismissal of Dave Yates in my analysis, and I didn't mention the weld quality once as there is no welding on that frame, just brazing.

He made infinitely more frames than just those two as he was a custom builder, he would build to suit a customers needs not restrict you to an 'either or'

As I mentioned, this was his attempt to hit a lower price point and get to a wider market, in exactly the same way that Roberts created the Genesis.

These frames were sound frames, they used a few lugs to simplify the work and to lower the price. They hit the market at the £500 price mark and sold well to those who didn't want a custom frame price tag or wait. They were available off the peg and involved no conversations with Dave.

In many ways the Diablo is a better second hand purchase than a full custom which were designed to fit an individual rather than the masses and so this wouldn't have any idiosyncrasies that a full custom may have.

I've owned a couple of Yates in my time and he is my first port of call when I need work done. So no dismissal of the framebuilder, just a statement of fact as per the MBUK review from back in 1992 or so (still got it somewhere if you want!).

As for the concerns regards the rust and chainstay, I was just going on the text in the ad and was concerned that the mention of the chainstay may indicate that it is more than paint deep.

Turns out I totally over egged the price, it was £295 for frame and p2 forks not £500.
love the bit where they decided that the 130mm stem made the bike feel like a shopper, being far too upright so they took it off and put on a 150mm! How we didn't kill ourselves I will never know:

5ea8fedc.jpg

pete_mcc":3dcc31nn said:
sinnerman":3dcc31nn said:
Pete, intrigued at your analysis of the DAVE YATES as a custom builder, with a range of mountain bike frames. (all be it only two ) the diablo and the D.O.N.K.I.S .N.O.B.

Im surprised you are so quick to dismiss the the welding quality of a craftsman"s frame, based basically on the amount he built, to achieve a pricepoint.

There was no dismissal of Dave Yates in my analysis, and I didn't mention the weld quality once as there is no welding on that frame, just brazing.

He made infinitely more frames than just those two as he was a custom builder, he would build to suit a customers needs not restrict you to an 'either or'

As I mentioned, this was his attempt to hit a lower price point and get to a wider market, in exactly the same way that Roberts created the Genesis.

These frames were sound frames, they used a few lugs to simplify the work and to lower the price. They hit the market at the £500 price mark and sold well to those who didn't want a custom frame price tag or wait. They were available off the peg and involved no conversations with Dave.

In many ways the Diablo is a better second hand purchase than a full custom which were designed to fit an individual rather than the masses and so this wouldn't have any idiosyncrasies that a full custom may have.

I've owned a couple of Yates in my time and he is my first port of call when I need work done. So no dismissal of the framebuilder, just a statement of fact as per the MBUK review from back in 1992 or so (still got it somewhere if you want!).

As for the concerns regards the rust and chainstay, I was just going on the text in the ad and was concerned that the mention of the chainstay may indicate that it is more than paint deep.

Hi pete,

In response, i didnt make ref to the diablo frame when i talked of dave yates welding,( i was generalizing)..any fool can see the frame is fillet brazed, i was simply making ref to his capabilities as frame builder.
Also as a respected custom builder, i would hope his build portfolio for the last two decades or so reaches deeper depths than the D.O.N.K.I.S N.O.B, and diablo, which i consider to be his base platforms.....i would certainly hope with his success, his work "has" reached infinite numbers.

As i say... i agree with you, on the build of this frame, trying to achieve a certain price point, and reach a slighty wider audience.

I suspect, much in the same way as other quality frame builders...(i will use bontrager for example) some of the frame work is completed and shelved (so to speak) untill required, rear triangles etc, built ready for assembly then paint etc.
All in an attempt to reach a target audience, as the market demand increases, leaving a shorter turnaround time than say a total custom build. Almost semi- mass produced, like you say.
I also suspect, much in the same way as other smaller buliders, he has trained his team to "fabricate" frames, thus also reducing time and overall costs, again enabling his product to hit a certain price point, and time frame...the supply and demand scenario.

I did think when i read your initial post, of its original frame cost, in the early 1990s as £500, it was a little steep for the market at that time i must say. I had thought it was between £300 and £400, depending on what additions to the standard fabrication the customer had.

I have yet to ride one of his frames, although i have had four or five experiences of his work myself. In previous years, a good customer severely damage a bontrager race lite head tube by fitting a longer travel fork than it was designed for, as this damage was caused by the owner and not due to poor craftmanship or materials, it was not covered by any warranties.

I liased over the phone and the bontrager frame was sent to Dave Yates, who was responsible for the repair, i have to say i was amazed at the quality of his work, the cost and the efficiency of the entire experience. and i was left with a very happy customer, and used him again when needed.

So i am quite keen to get the frame built, and experience the ride for myself, as for the chainsuck, i dont expect an 18/19 year old frame that costs £100 to be anywhere near perfect, and the repairs... as and where needed will be carefully addressed where necesary.

Thank you for taking the time to scan the review, that was good of you, if you do have five minutes, i would be very intruged to read the whole article.
The fact it was tested with a salsa and a serotta, (and the diablo being the only English frame in the test,) i suspect i and others would love to read that review in full.

:cool:

legrandefromage":3dn4ejav said:
I thought the chain stay was holed which at that price would be beyond any budget I have.

Hey lgf, hope you are enjoying your new job, and things are going well...?

I woudnt think "a" hole in the chainstay would be too much of a drama to resolve, certainly not mega bucks to to do.

Have you not seen what sinnermans capabilities are.. dont think that fella will have any frame issues for long, I reckon watch this space, and no doubt it will be another exceptional job!!!

Look forward to seeing you work your magic ONCE again ;)

Cheers rojo..... :D :oops: :cool:

I had already pmd the seller before i even contemplated placing a bid, and enquired about the rust/corrosion/pictured damage to the chainstay area....!!!

the response i recieved, which led to my winning bid.....said this...

"The drive side chainstay has scuffing from chainsuck and surface corrosion. There are no cracks or holes to the frameset anywhere."

so im happy with that to be honest, however if there is something the seller hasnt seen, then i will take it as it comes.

Back