Spooked by spokes

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've been looking at the idea of building myself some wheels, something ive not done for 25 years.

However, I've been really surprised at the high cost of spokes. The 64 spokes and nipples seems to be in the region of £75.

This is for dt swiss double butted with a brass nipple.

Is there any make that might be cheaper anyone can recommend or any retailer who does better prices.

Where should I be looking? Because at present its going to be far cheaper to sell the hubs and rims I have a buy a second hand pair, pocketing a substantial difference !

Cheers.

Re:

Look on eBay. I think I was paying about 8 quid for a set of DT Swiss spokes.
I was buying from some one called something like: nildercyclesandhire

I'm concerned about using brands I know nothing of. I know a lot of stick wheels use sapin spokes....any body got any first hand experience if building with them?

Used Sapim and ACI, no trouble with either. Wheels built up fine and after several years' use the spokes haven't failed.

Re:

Built a few of my own wheels with new spokes. I think I got them from the cycle clinic online. At the time was around £14 for 32 db dt Swiss spokes and nipples. They were also very helpful with sizes too. £75 sounds like daylight robbery.

Spokes have got crazy expensive, It’s not uncommon for DT spokes to be over £1 per piece. Gets really crazy if you want colored alloy nipples, that will be another 35p per piece.
There are still some dt competitions on eBay for the ‘old price’ of about 35pence but in limited lengths.

Back