Specialized S-Works Epic (2004) kids build

Re:

A little bit of progress today - his wrist is still very sore. :(

- Tyres and tubes on
- Discs on
- Saddle and post in
- Trial fit of the bars

Aside from the pumping up of the tyres which I did due to the wrist hurting, he did it all himself. I did check the tightness on the QR and the disc lock nut though ;)

Cool or what?! We're keeping the NOS S-Works carbon bars ones in storage until we've got the width sorted. These alloy ones are the same rise / sweep and may be subject to trimming. As he gets bigger, we'll swap to wider carbon.

SP

Attachments

• 2020-17-B.jpg
    2020-17-B.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 507
  • 2020-17-A.jpg
    2020-17-A.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 507
Definitely cool....

that rear shock set up is a bit funky and saves having it squashed in the front triangle

can we see a better pic of it ?

Re:

We had and experimental session trial fitting the brakes. I've ordered inserts and olives to shorten the hoses.

The bolts will need replacing or cleaning at the very least!

Attachments

• Rear_2.jpg
    Rear_2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Rear_1.jpg
    Rear_1.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 411
  • Brakes_Fit.jpg
    Brakes_Fit.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 411
Re:

Well, I think last time my son and I silently acknowledged that the bike is too big for him at the moment, so the build went on the back burner for a while. :|

I have kept an eBay search running for XTR parts since Christmas and finally managed to buy an XTR rear mech for reasonable money (£23). This didn't save much weight, only 40g over the XT M750 derailleur, but looks cool :D

The arrival of the mech gave us a little momentum. On went the following:

XT M750 cranks - 545g
22t & 32t Shimano rings - 59g
Race Face bash guard - 106g
Steel bolts - 25g

Total 735g

this is spinning on the lovely Week Eight 156g bottom bracket. Crank bolts are ordinary Shimano steel jobs until the self-extracting ti ones I have bought turn up.

Attachments

• Cranks.jpg
    Cranks.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 269
Re:

Next:

M970 front derailleur 128g
M970 rear derailleur 206g
M770 11-34 cassette 265g (claimed weight, my son fitted it before I could weigh it!)

The parts were cleaned up as required by him and re-assembled. Pedals went on too - Wellgo C128 at 273g.

Now, here's the issue, front mech clearance! It had a low band front mech fitted from new but clearance is very, very tight.

Attachments

• Front Mech.jpg
    Front Mech.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 16_May.jpg
    16_May.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 272
Back