Specialized Rockhopper saga

That’s the welding done and the wheel spins lovely, yay 🥳
Let’s see how BMW arctic silver looks. Fingers crossed 🤞 IMG_5348.jpeg IMG_5346.jpeg

Primer on ready for flatting in 24 hours time.

I still really enjoy riding these old bikes but the crap weather and mud does put me off. I worry about the already old components getting worn out so I think modern drivetrain like a 1x deore so affordable and readily available with some Armageddon proof Marzocchi Z2 Bombers with their open oil bath coil spring ruggedness. Some budget wheels for winter and maybe some pretty wheels for summer. I’ll squirt plenty of frame saver in the tubes, It should be pretty bombproof then. A real no excuse to not ride kind of bike. Apart from the deore 1x I’ve got everything i need to build this so it should be really cheap and I’m hoping cheerful.
IMG_5349.jpeg

My Rockhopper collection, ‘97, ‘98 and a’99.

I plan on returning the ‘97 to standard, tastefully and subtly mod the ‘98 with period bits for sunny day use and the ‘99 will be a workhorse.

No more need to buy any more bikes, turn off the saved searches on eBay and stop looking in the for sale section on here. That’s it I’m cured !!! IMG_5342.jpeg

The BMW Arctic silver isn’t the closest match but it’ll look better once cut back and polished a bit and this is the frankenhopper with that vandalised seat stay bridge so I’ll call that a win lol IMG_5374.jpeg IMG_5375.jpeg

Last edited:
Back