Specialized Hardtail identification?

leinad

Retro Newbie
Hey everyone,

Since this is my first post here I hope I’ve chosen the right sub-forum for this.
I’m currently thinking about getting myself a ~90s hardtail as a side project.
I’ve stumbled across this offer in classifieds today and even though I studied the old specialized catalogues available online, I can’t seem to find the model.
Seems to be in good condition overall, although fork doesn’t seem to be original while the seller says they never changed it.
Stem and handlebar don’t look like they are stock either.

Features Shimano LX cantilevers, a Campagnolo headset, Shimano Parallax hubs and Galli Rims.
Gripshift is from Sachs, but apparently with a Deore Derailleur.

The whole „cockpit“ area seems to offer nothing of interest, but I’m extremely curious about the frame.
Any ideas?
Price tag is 40€

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_7853.jpeg
    IMG_7853.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7855.jpeg
    IMG_7855.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 30
Epic? Like this one:

Clearly a bargain whatever the frame is, so buy now and ask questions later!

Thought so, too, but the lugging seems different and there’s no S-Works logo, but instead this decal I can’t make sense off and some US flag on the bottom of the seatpost.

But sure, I’m planning on picking it up tomorrow if everything goes as planned ;)

Definitely not an epic, that was carbon in titanium lugs.

This is steel and I very much doubt it’s a Specialized at all, the decals are too late for when spesh were still doing lugged frames I think.

And I don’t think Specialized ever did double downtube bosses?

(Cantilevers look like tektro, lx was never anodised)

I was thinking Tushingham b52, but they have a cantilever bridge and don’t have that front mech noodle.

I’m sure I’ve seen an orange with that type of noodle before..

Thank you for the replies @Mod-Master !
I’ve just tried to check on Orange and the B52, but they seem to have different lugging and dropouts as well?
Now I’m definitely unsure if I should pick it up at all.
Will ask the seller if they bought it first hand.

Back