SPD shoes that you can actually walk in.

xerxes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I currently use ye olde fashioned flat pedals with toe clips and straps. However, I'm thinking giving SPD pedals another go.

I have a set of SPD pedals kicking aabout and I also have some SPD shoes. However, the shoes I have are totally hopeless off the bike, the soles are completely rigid, such that walking more than a very short distance is pretty uncomfortable.

I sometimes go for an "overnighter" and stay at a campsite and I want a pair of shoes that I can wear off the bike and walk about in and don't look like cycling shoes, so that I don't have to take a second pair of shoes to wear to the nearest pub in the evening.

Any suggestions?

Re:

I’ve got a pair of Shimano am45 and they are comfy and easy to walk. I use them on my hardtail trail bike and they decent in terms of quality. They look a bit goofy through.

Re:

They look a bit goofy through.

That seems to be an issue with many cycling shoes, and some shoes and trainers in general. Odd colour combinations and wierd styling abound.

I see some shoes and think "what the hell colour trousers are going to go with those?".

Re:

I had some pearl izumi that were practically trail running shoes. Very comfy on and off the bike. Currently have some spesh bg shoes that are also good on and off a bike.

Full mtb shoes are not nice off a bike, but the more casual ones are designed to be best of both worlds.

Five Ten and similar companies make some spd shoes which are comfy off the bike.

The issue is the sole of the shoe is usually designed to act as a larger pedal as it were, so stiffer the better. Too soft and you are relying on the small pedal as the contact area.

Re:

Teva Pivot - worth a look.
Teva usually make sandals and stuff, but from memory, they decided to branch out.
IIRC they went right back to the drawing board - analysed every part of an SPD shoe and tried to make it better.
They also took onboard all the little things people liked and didn't like about SPD shoes - one of which was eliminating the 'waddle' that you have to suffer with most of them.
Fantastic shoes, but bizarrely they didn't take off.
It's strange - how people will go for some things and not others :?
They pop up occaisionally on ebay and stuff.
Vans Warner are another option - comfortable, but heavier and just generally a bit more cumbersome - the Teva's are much more 'technical'.
Anyways.....

Attachments

• teva pivot.jpg
    teva pivot.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 867
Re:

I have a pair of Adidas ones that I think look ok off the bike. Also,as mentioned, Shimano do some as well. I've a couple of pairs from them.

Mike

Re:

The issue is the sole of the shoe is usually designed to act as a larger pedal as it were, so stiffer the better.

That's what I feared. Even for walking I've moved away from traditional stiff, heavy boots to lightweight trail shoes. I think I've become so used to wearing soft, minimalist shoes, that whenever I wear sturdier shoes I find them really uncomfortable.

Can you get Vibram Five Fingers for SPDs? :p

vibram-fivefingers-spyridon-mr.jpg

Re:

Shimano MT's can walk in, stiffer sole but I don't know what this widdle is all about, maybe the roadie style shoes?)

Also/Lidl do down comfy to walk in.shoes, more flexible soles etc. Or at least they did.
Not the best for anything more than a commute or a quick trip out.

The MT are noticeably better when on the bike.
You're arch is better supported, you don't bend over the pedals as much.
Ankle support in the boot style versions.

I think Sport Direct have started to do their karrimor style walking shoe/boots with spd bike usage.

Of course it comes down to what you think is fashionable.

Back