Some sad news

Johnny Ragwort

Dirt Disciple
Just a short message to let people know that Alvin Smith - VCC marque enthusiast for Rensch-Paris and Major Nicholls, author of "Rensch and Paris Cycles" and avid collector of vintage bikes (and incidentally my wife's father) - sadly passed away suddenly on Tuesday morning. He was a very knowledgeable and friendly chap, especially where elderly bikes were concerned, and an all round good man, and I for one am going to miss him enormously: even though the bikes I tend to like are about thirty years too new for Alvin's taste, we could always find something to chat about in his workshop and I learnt no end of useful stuff from him over the years. Rest in peace, Alvin.

Just a short message to let people know that Alvin Smith - VCC marque enthusiast for Rensch-Paris and Major Nicholls, author of "Rensch and Paris Cycles" and avid collector of vintage bikes (and incidentally my wife's father) - sadly passed away suddenly on Tuesday morning. He was a very knowledgeable and friendly chap, especially where elderly bikes were concerned, and an all round good man, and I for one am going to miss him enormously: even though the bikes I tend to like are about thirty years too new for Alvin's taste, we could always find something to chat about in his workshop and I learnt no end of useful stuff from him over the years. Rest in peace, Alvin.
I just sent Alvin an email a few days ago and I am now very sorry to read this. Alvin was a good man. I met him in person in the summer of 2016 when collecting from his home an original red livery Paris TDF from 1951. He had very kindly collected the frame on my behalf -- and with the patience of his good lady wife-- after my remote purchase from Leominster Veteran and Vintage Cycling Auction! I live in London. Alvin had guided me in prior email "conversations" to the auction and three possible purchases. The 1951 frame won me over, and after whiling away a very nice afternoon with him in his workshop and garden, I left with a pair of French bar end brake levers and ideas of how I would build up the frame. Assembly of wheels, BB and other parts came with Condor's completion of the build. I greatly enjoyed this red bicycle, pictured in the attached image, now a reserve. In January 2020 Alvin let me have a roughly painted white Paris Professional frame #4732, dating from 1948. I had spotted this in his workshop years before. Someone in a far off land had decided against shipping complication, and so after purchase of the 1948 frame at modest cost, Alvin dispatched this on my behalf once again to Argos, Bristol, for restoration. Alvin later helped me size the BB spacers , and offered many other reflections. I greatly enjoy riding this new build almost daily up hill and down dale in London. I wrote to Alvin, "it is a great pleasure to have the frame", to which he replied, "I am very happy to know you have her and enjoy riding her". Alvin approved the photos; "Good looking machine there, Paul" he wrote later. I had hoped to go for a post-covid ride with Alvin and others in the Spring. RIP Alvin. I wish his family peace and long life.

Attachments

• 1951 Paris Professional.JPG
    1951 Paris Professional.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 21
  • 1948 Paris Professional #4732.jpg
    1948 Paris Professional #4732.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back