Some old snaps - and a young Lance in Leeds!

David B":1fsi195d said:
tonyf39":1fsi195d said:
John":1fsi195d said:
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Certainly one of my favourite eras. Great bikes and riders. Slightly tarnished by the fact they were clearly all well medicated but still...

What, including Lance?...shirley not! ;) :LOL:

I suspect Mr. Boardman would probably take exception to the above statement as well. Although the less said about some of the other characters in the photos, the better [1].

David

[1] And I don't mean Sir Jimmy either ("....now here we go with a letter from Bjarne in Denmark, who writes: 'Dear Jim, can you fix it for me to have a 60%+ haematocrit level?'"). ;)

I meant all as in the pro peleton. Maybe I should've said most.

Would agree Boardman was probably clean, esp given his lack of consistency in some bigger races in comparison to some, ahem, aided riders. Would be a shame to reignite the Armstrong debate here. Saville is definitely on something. Would Jim'll Fix it be allowed now?

John":nzkruwqx said:
I meant all as in the pro peleton. Maybe I should've said most.

Would agree Boardman was probably clean, esp given his lack of consistency in some bigger races in comparison to some, ahem, aided riders. Would be a shame to reignite the Armstrong debate here. Saville is definitely on something. Would Jim'll Fix it be allowed now?

With hindsight someone should've taken inspiration from a previous episode in the sporting history of Leeds and given the dopers a sound Clough-style earbashing before the race got going;

"As far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest <expletive deleted> dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by b****y cheating."

;)

Would Jim'll Fix It be allowed now? Well, they couldn't surely do any worse with it than with any other revivals of 70s/80s TV favourites e.g. Family (mis)Fortunes with Vernon Kay. Anyroad, moving on....

David

Lysander":vg451pqx said:
Aye, I'd say it's Fabio Baldato as well, by his hairstyle.......

It is indeed Fabio Baldato. He was one of my neighbours in Brendola (VI) in 1994. He drove around in a black Volvo estate.

ShiftySteve":1vhso1rj said:
JS is still to be seen jogging/shuffling along in his gold trackie now and again on the Otley road. I dont know if he has a place near there.

He lives in Roundhay. He was my neighbour for 15 years before we moved out to Alwoodley. My father used to be Teacher in charge of a residential education facility for children with learning and physical difficulties, on the east edge of the park (Elmete hall). JS used to run across our fields and on a number of occasions dropped in to say hi to the kids. And made donations towards the running of the site. Bearing in mind this would have been 80's early 90's when he was very much a familiar personality. Theres a lot of crap said about him these days but from my experience he is a top bloke, sure he is eccentric.

Nice pictures by the way.

Yeah, Jimmy Savile is pretty weird, but i'm sure most people from Leeds, like me will look on him with some affection. Like a funny uncle.

Back