Solarstorm x2 cheapo ebay lights

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone got a lo0ng term review of these cheapo ebay lights ?, seems to be quite good, but i dont want to hear too much good and the charger burns down the house, or they fail from the get go.

So cheap and so bright if they last a couple of years id be happy. But only if they're safe.

I've had several variants over the years. There are lots of clones etc. They usually do 2-3 years without an issue and have got a lot better since the batteries actually started being supplied in waterproof casing (they used to come in a ruck sack like cloth case and have paper at either end of the actual battery pack). Obviously pay no attention to the claimed lumen values.

Usually, it's a loose connection that does for them.

I did have one power supply go pop - but that was one out of around 7 sets of these I've had over the last decade or so (I usually pick up a spare set when I see them going cheap so I have a spare battery pack or two for longer rides). But I would not leave them charging overnight without supervision for that reason. The newer ones often come with a USB charging cable which probably helps reduce a point of failure and improves safety.

Obviously YMMV, but there's no way I'd buy anything else - certainly not the £100s some brands charge.

I meant to add what are the running times/settings and charging times. I see many share a similar battery, which isnt too big and maybe indeed buying two but keeping one battery in the pack to increase the running time is the way to go.

one reply and certainly sold me :LOL:

I'll look around whats available. Red or gold if theres any colours available.

The battery packs (which look a bit like 4 roughly AA sized cells) do about 40 mins on full whack, and 2+ hours on medium. I go out mountain biking in the dark for about 3 hours - and with careful management ie low or off on any road/uphill sections, they last the full ride. But I always take a spare pack in case we get lost/mechanical/battery failure.

Charging time I don't pay much attention to, but I usually stick them on charge in the morning and they are certainly ready by the evening.

Re:

Lights are usually reliable but as said the batteries usually suffer after a few wet rides.

You can get replacement batteries and chargers from here > MTB-Batteries .. I've replaced batteries for a 7.5v 8.7Ah Lupine Betty7 for a fraction of what Lupine wanted rob me and also had a new 3.75v 7.8Ah for a small Thumb light for my lid, so I can run higher power for longer... neither have run out on any night rides yet.
All come in a proper neoprene sleeve and bag.

You choose what plug you need, they do the rest.

Sounds good, though im still in shock over what or how much you get you such a small amount. That machined lamp unit, anywhere in Europe would sell 3x that, at least :?

Got 3 and used them for a few years (a few years ago now ), very bright , bit blue , batteries shite (buy a decent battery), don't know what the current crop are like as mine are all 5 or six years old , as I ride twice a week all year round I invested in Exposure as a lot of the issues I had with solarstorm (and a Bema AS2000 that lasted a good 3 years ) were the connector , it's also so nice not messing around with separate batteries strapped to frame/bars but pricey I'm afraid .

A lot of the cheaper lights use cells reclaimed from scrap laptop battery packs, they test and discard the dud cells but others can have weak charging.

I've been pointed in the direction of 'Torchy' for batteries.

https://www.torchy.co.uk/

Wondering if I should maybe forego the Chinese stuff :? given the reviews here. I see it is ok, but its still a pig in a poke.
Iffy batteries, hope the charger isn't one of those which either electrocutes you or sets the house alight :? All in all considered.

Dont think i'd ever go Exposure ,those are just too expensive. But on reflection..... :p maybe something mid priced would be better.
I think I'll still buy one for the lamp unit. Might be able to do something with that for the workshop(CANNOT have too much light in a workshop, on a12v/6v adaptor

Re:

MTB Bateries are doing the small lid mounted light for £55 from £76 currently... plus you can call and custom size your battery pack.
Depends on how much light you're after.

51-Yq-OVt0-KIL-AC.jpg

Had this Chinese cheapie chappie for years ... batteries replaced, its been really reliable and bright enough on one LED for 95% of rides.

Back