Soens bicycle

Cyclelogical

Retro Newbie
1B88C101-1727-45D8-9C0B-F56854AD1403.jpeg 3242BDDB-EEF2-489F-AF96-B20CF7908BFE.jpeg
I have just acquired a Soens bike here in New Zealand.I have been doing some research on the marque,and they seem to have a very good pedigree.I know Jim Soens built a lot of the frames,but this isn’t one of his.His serial numbers went up to 888,whereas my bike has the serial number K66281.I’m assuming thats the date it was built.I know Holdsworth built some of their frames, but if anyone has any further information that would be great.It’s kitted out with 600 Arabesque and Campy hubs.although the Mavic rims and New Success chainset aren’t original.

Nice, and a long way from home! Here's a link to an old Soens restoration project of mine, with plenty of background on the Soens.

Mine was built by Bill Soens, (son of Eddie who was more of a coach than a builder). It was Bill's frame numbers that went up to 888, so it's not one of his. Jim, of course, did build lovely frames so likely one of his. Google him - there's tons of stuff on the internet.

Last edited:
View attachment 726745View attachment 726746
I have just acquired a Soens bike here in New Zealand.I have been doing some research on the marque,and they seem to have a very good pedigree.I know Jim Soens built a lot of the frames,but this isn’t one of his.His serial numbers went up to 888,whereas my bike has the serial number K66281.I’m assuming thats the date it was built.I know Holdsworth built some of their frames, but if anyone has any further information that would be great.It’s kitted out with 600 Arabesque and Campy hubs.although the Mavic rims and New Success chainset aren’t original.
And check out this link. Lots of info about Soens and Liverpool builders in General.
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=6972&start=15

Nice, and a long way from home! Here's a link to an old Soens restoration project of mine, with plenty of background on the Soens.

Mine was built by Bill Soens, (brother of Eddie who was more of a coach than a builder). It was Bill's frame numbers that went up to 888, so it's not one of his. Jim, of course, did build lovely frames so likely one of his. Google him - there's tons of stuff on the internet.
Thanks for your reply.I’ll definitely do a deep dive into your posts.Peachy! seems to confirm my suspicions that it is a Holdsworth build,as the serial number is consistent with their numbering system in the 60s,the K prefix was often used to denote a frame that was being outsourced.It rides as you’d expect a quality bike like a Holdsworth to ride,and judging by its conditiion it’s been well looked after.There was a post on here around 2008 from someone emigrating to NZ,and looking to buy a Soens to take with them.I’m wondering if it’s the same bike

I thought Bill was Eddie's son? He ran the Boaler St. shop using Eddie's name over the door.

Back