Skinwall tyres

RadioShed

Old School Hero
I'm rebuilding an Orange P7 RS from 1996. Given the date I thought that skinwall tyres would look the part. I'd appreciate something with low rolling resistance, can't see me using it in anything too onerous.
So what is out there?

Attachments

• 20210221_083034.jpg
    20210221_083034.jpg
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 1,319
Re:

Personally I think that the nickel P7 is THE iconic ORANGE. Yep, the orange white fade is the mark of the early breed - but that shiny set of thin tubes on the P7 is really something.

Right...if you are going to ride it...then I don’t think there is any shame putting on new skinwall 26 rubber from Schwalbe or go for the repro Panaracers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panaracer-Unis ... th=1&psc=1

Better than riding papery ancient rubber which handles badly and picks up punctures like a Womble picking up litter....

Re:

Kindly aim your double barrel away from my face, for this but...

I bought some of these a while back. Took me right back to Raleigh mustang days.

Thick, supple, not crusty sh#t you see flogged for 40-50 quid each, used crud.

Next to no rolling resistance.

Attachments

• 20210221_101919.jpg
    20210221_101919.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,274
Seen loads of Schwalbe Billy Bonkers on retro builds. Look smart. I've not been tempted as not sure the tread is ideal for me.

Re:

This week I have purchased a pair of the new Terra One tyres.
Back ordered a few pairs of amberwall reissue Smoke and Darts. And also ordered a pair of those Duro centre ridge tyres that marc two tone highlighted on eBay.

All for projects with differing requirements.

Maybe I should do a product comparison test...?

Re:

Before you think about tyres, maybe consider forks. As 2manyoranges points out, the nickel P7 is pretty iconic and represents a particular age of development in MTB. Those RC35s are ‘92/‘93 and stand out like a sore thumb - they belong on a painted Prestige or Clockwork. I would go for a set of RC35 MXCDs. That said, your bike: your choice!

By the way, if the ‘RS’ decals are original - it would have originally worn Rock Shox Quadra 21R in yellow. Also pretty groovy, if you can find a set.

Re:

To my mind there's some pretty decent Schwalbe/Maxxis skinwalls.Good selection of tread patterns,some looking quite similar to old styles (Tioga city slickers/Specialized nimbus etc.). Not always in the right shade of 'hearing aid beige' for my liking but beggars/choosers n all that.
But why do they have to spoil them with big logos stamped on the sidewalls?It's the one thing that stops be buying.
Maybe that's a good thing! :LOL:

Back