Skinwall tyres

RadioShed

Dirt Disciple
I'm rebuilding an Orange P7 RS from 1996. Given the date I thought that skinwall tyres would look the part. I'd appreciate something with low rolling resistance, can't see me using it in anything too onerous.
So what is out there?

Attachments

• 20210221_083034.jpg
    20210221_083034.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,317

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

Personally I think that the nickel P7 is THE iconic ORANGE. Yep, the orange white fade is the mark of the early breed - but that shiny set of thin tubes on the P7 is really something.

Right...if you are going to ride it...then I don’t think there is any shame putting on new skinwall 26 rubber from Schwalbe or go for the repro Panaracers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panaracer-Unis ... th=1&psc=1

Better than riding papery ancient rubber which handles badly and picks up punctures like a Womble picking up litter....

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Re:

Kindly aim your double barrel away from my face, for this but...

I bought some of these a while back. Took me right back to Raleigh mustang days.

Thick, supple, not crusty sh#t you see flogged for 40-50 quid each, used crud.

Next to no rolling resistance.

Attachments

• 20210221_101919.jpg
    20210221_101919.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,270

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Seen loads of Schwalbe Billy Bonkers on retro builds. Look smart. I've not been tempted as not sure the tread is ideal for me.

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Re:

This week I have purchased a pair of the new Terra One tyres.
Back ordered a few pairs of amberwall reissue Smoke and Darts. And also ordered a pair of those Duro centre ridge tyres that marc two tone highlighted on eBay.

All for projects with differing requirements.

Maybe I should do a product comparison test...?

Corduroyboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Re:

Before you think about tyres, maybe consider forks. As 2manyoranges points out, the nickel P7 is pretty iconic and represents a particular age of development in MTB. Those RC35s are ‘92/‘93 and stand out like a sore thumb - they belong on a painted Prestige or Clockwork. I would go for a set of RC35 MXCDs. That said, your bike: your choice!

By the way, if the ‘RS’ decals are original - it would have originally worn Rock Shox Quadra 21R in yellow. Also pretty groovy, if you can find a set.

captaincowelly

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

To my mind there's some pretty decent Schwalbe/Maxxis skinwalls.Good selection of tread patterns,some looking quite similar to old styles (Tioga city slickers/Specialized nimbus etc.). Not always in the right shade of 'hearing aid beige' for my liking but beggars/choosers n all that.
But why do they have to spoil them with big logos stamped on the sidewalls?It's the one thing that stops be buying.
Maybe that's a good thing! :LOL: