Single speed ghetto style

Re:

Here's mine now

IMG_0841 by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I used longer stop adjustment screws for the mech. I was going to grind down the top cog, but having ridden it yesterday, I won't bother. Just for the race next week. I did leave the f/m on intiially, but now off as in the photo. Hope the chain stays on ok!

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1nsjiop3 said:
Here's mine now
. I did leave the f/m on intiially, but now off as in the photo. Hope the chain stays on ok!

Wouldnt taking one or two pairs of links would increase the tension by the rear mech?

Re:

You could bodge a Singlespeed bike, to some is kind of the point... although somewhere down the line when you get hooked, you'll do it properly... so don't worry too much. Make sure the ratio's are good for the terrain you ride and your style, this may take a few rides to get it spot on. No hard and fast rules when it comes to SS bikes, but weight saving on the wheels and tyres will serve you well, as rolling resistance is the killer of these bikes... momentum is everything, so anticipate situations by reading the trails and keep momentum into climbs. But most of all, enjoy.

I promise you that within a few months you'll be lopping weight off your bike and getting it set up properly! I got my last SS down to 16.5lb's, which ain't bad for a 19'' bike. It never stayed where it was pointed, but hey it was fun. ;-)

al.

Re: Re:

02gf74":12v9jxwq said:
Mike Muz 67":12v9jxwq said:
Here's mine now
. I did leave the f/m on intiially, but now off as in the photo. Hope the chain stays on ok!

Wouldnt taking one or two pairs of links would increase the tension by the rear mech?

Hope to find out soon, going for an off road spin. Only set up like this for a race. Then it will be 3x8 again

Mike

Back