Single speed ghetto style

rugbyleaguebiker

Old School Hero
Calling any single speeders, I'm thinking about going single on a retro steel mtb, I like the thought of reaching cycling zen and minimal maintenance. Could I do it by taking a sprocket from an old 8 speed cassette and a middle chainring and replacing the rear mech with a tensioner? I know I won't go to jail or die for doing so but why do people recommend against it? There is all sorts of info out there which is making the simplicity of single speed not so simple, so I'd like to call upon you experts opinions and experience. Thank you

Re:

No reason why you couldn't, although a single skinny rear sprocket may have more of a possibility of digging into the freehub splines than a dedicated wider SS cog.

Re:

Then that would be a needless cost to replace the free hub, the single speed sprockets are quite cheap so it might be £5 well spent. Thank you

Most annoying thing with SS is if the chain falls off loads. Hence the reason to get wider, long toothed cogs front and back - plus a proper tensioning device, or better still horizontal drop outs. As you say the sprocket is a fiver.

If it's your first time then hack it together on the cheap. If you like it then upgrade as needed.

Re:

Got a 36 tooth narrow wide chain ring in the shed that came as a bundle with a chain set I bought, could use that with a sprocket and some sort of tensioner to keep cost down and go from there

Get a steel Shimano DX (DXR?) bmx cog, they are super cheap and honestly work better than the fancy Chris King cogs.

Re: Re:

rugbyleaguebiker":1abmrirc said:
Got a 36 tooth narrow wide chain ring in the shed that came as a bundle with a chain set I bought, could use that with a sprocket and some sort of tensioner to keep cost down and go from there

There's lots of choice and info out there, which can make it a dilemma deciding. I'd say give it a go ghetto style first, using what you've got to see how you get on. Experiment with the different sized cogs from the 8speed and if it allows, use the spacers from it – you might need to buy a range of dedicated spacers for exact fit. You'd definitely need a tensioner otherwise the chain may fly off and rap round the cranks/pedals at the most inappropriate of moments. It well worth giving it a go though – it's amazing how much tinkering/maintenance/cost/weght it cuts out going single speed and I think it also makes the bike look uncluttered and aesthetically pleasing.

Re:

I'm planning on converting a geared bike to ss for an event.

Normal sprocket and spacers, rear mech adjusted for just that gear. Front mech adjusted for just the middle. Take the shifters off. Any issues trying that, folks?

Mike

Re:

...even that's ok as you can limit the derailleur movements. The front mech will work as a very necessary chain keeper/retention device. I found I had to keep my front shifter on cabled up with the front mech so that the mech was held in the right position – wedging a tube of Pritt Stick between the frame and front mech allowed for getting the position right and so that the cable/shifter movement was limited.

Back