Simoncini Lo-Pro TT

oxo

Dirt Disciple
My latest project, a Simoncini Lo-Pro TT.

Picked it up from my friend this afternoon - a donation to get me started Time Trialling this year. Some fabulous looking kit on it, although I know next to nothing about the brand or history of this particular bike at the moment. Any info gratefully received!

IMG_2181.jpg

Simonici

Simonici is a small Italian builder producing bikes mainly to individual customer specifications in Gambassi Terme near Empoli. In recent years they have added mountain bikes and Stainless Steel frames to thier range.

...........................................................................................................
1928 BSA 70D Sports
1937 Raleigh Sports
1945 Claud Butler Continental
1954 Ellis Briggs International
1962 Geoffrey Butler road/track
1962 Armstrong Moth
1967 Bianchi
1968 Armstrong Moth
1969 H Bates
1973 MKM
1992 Bianch Reparto Corse (ex TdF)
1995 Dawes Galaxy
1998 Univega 204
2007 Masferrer
2010 Merida Scultura
2011 Cinelli

Re: Simonici

cotterpin":36ejdwns said:
Simonici is a small Italian builder producing bikes mainly to individual customer specifications in Gambassi Terme near Empoli. In recent years they have added mountain bikes and Stainless Steel frames to thier range.

Many thanks for the info. The lack of Google returned matches makes me think this could be a bit of a one-off. Should raise a few eyebrows at the next club TT!

A (probably daft) question if I may: I need to get hold of a Campagnolo Braze-on style front mech to match this groupset. All I know is that it's an 8-speed cassette, does this limit me to looking for an 8-speed compatible front mech, or can I go lower or higher than 8?

Thanks

oxo":25kkp2i8 said:
cotterpin":25kkp2i8 said:

Many thanks for the info. The lack of Google returned matches makes me think this could be a bit of a one-off. Should raise a few eyebrows at the next club TT!

A (probably daft) question if I may: I need to get hold of a Campagnolo Braze-on style front mech to match this groupset. All I know is that it's an 8-speed cassette, does this limit me to looking for an 8-speed compatible front mech, or can I go lower or higher than 8?

Thanks

I've used both lower and higher with no problems. Going higher means a slightly narrower cage so you have to trim the front mech a bit more often as you roam up and down the sprockets. Higher will be a better match visually for you.

Mark.

daccordimark":174wkix0 said:
oxo":174wkix0 said:
cotterpin":174wkix0 said:

Thanks

I've used both lower and higher with no problems. Going higher means a slightly narrower cage so you have to trim the front mech a bit more often as you roam up and down the sprockets. Higher will be a better match visually for you.

Mark.

Brilliant, thanks for the info Mark. I've been in touch with the guy who built in in the '90's - he seems to recall that it's an early Chorus 8-speed groupset, but that's great news if a later changer will work.

cotterpin":1v1knjaw said:
Simonici is a small Italian builder producing bikes mainly to individual customer specifications in Gambassi Terme near Empoli. In recent years they have added mountain bikes and Stainless Steel frames to their range.

I was on a family holiday in Tuscany a decade or so ago & my brother-in-law suggested we find a place to hire bikes. The owner of the villa put us in contact with his only cycling contact, which lo & behold was the Simoncini workshop. Unfortunately, my pidgin Italian couldn't get across that my main interest of cycling was TTing. From the style of TT bike I'm guessing this frame originated from a similar time to my visit. Could honestly have spent hours though in their small industrial unit looking at all the different parts of the process. They were situated on the back road from Gambassi Terme to Varna.

Back