Show us your Specialized

1995 M2 Rigid.

As original and correct as it's going to be.

I'll be riding it soon but with other less delicate wheels, tyres, pedals and saddle.

View attachment 631503
I didn’t know they ever did a Magnesium rail version of the classic grey leather saddle ?

I saw a while back and recently on eBay again, a carbon underbody version. I think I spoke to the original guy who founds these hidden in a shop in South America. He thinks they might have been prototypes that never made production, hence no logo on the side !

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Manganese grey regular: Nov 94
Manganese perf: non-specific month 93 (correction)
Regular grey, regular rails: May 94

No I’ve never tried recovering or swapping the leather. I have one where the leather is tired but I just used leather restorer in grey to help it and it’s been better than risking tearing the leather. The two in the pictures are in great shape already.

and I never noticed before, but all the months on the date stamp are in Italian :)

Last edited:
Manganese grey regular: Nov 94
Manganese perf: non-specific month 93 (correction)
Regular grey, regular rails: May 94

and I never noticed before, but all the months on the date stamp are in Italian :)
I‘ve had a 1993 & 1994 x3 never seen a 1995 ?

Attachments

• F4CEF691-25A2-4E7A-BB16-7A17A51FAEF3.jpeg
    F4CEF691-25A2-4E7A-BB16-7A17A51FAEF3.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 7066598F-6EC3-431F-9212-D55FE03D0683.jpeg
    7066598F-6EC3-431F-9212-D55FE03D0683.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 4
  • 8817B840-B2F7-4CEB-B442-12E741277A7E.jpeg
    8817B840-B2F7-4CEB-B442-12E741277A7E.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 0EC7A966-6EF2-4A79-830A-ACC36F11347D.jpeg
    0EC7A966-6EF2-4A79-830A-ACC36F11347D.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 3
I‘ve had a 1993 & 1994 x3 never seen a 1995 ?
The catalogue years show and list grey perfs on 1994 bikes all the way to Rockhopper Comps, and grey leather unperf on all the top end 1995 bikes. Like the frames, they were probably made the year before so there may never have been a 95 date stamp.

My 1992 20" Rockhopper Comp. A local impulse 'bay purchase just for the DX shifters which now adorn my Tufftrax Elite! I then decided I quite liked the look of the bike, especially the orange colour with purple graphics, and it became a project which I have slowly brought back to life. The main 'challenges' were the seized Shimano BB, this I had to knock out the axle and cut the drive side bearing cup out as even a locked in tool with 5 ft bar would not shift and a seized seatpost which was removed with caustic soda. Don't think this bike had ever seen much grease! The bike rides very well indeed and feels quick and responsive. I like it! Many of the original parts have been reused / renovated where possible. The main changes from standard are Sunrace 7speed thumbshifters, headset, bottom bracket, pedals, chainset and rings, saddle and seatpost, bottle cage, bar-ends, cassette and cables and grips. The original Specialized saddle had a very uneven upper where the gel filling had bloated out on one side rendering it useless! spec_3.JPG

Very nicely renovated bike indeed, sounds like it must have been some challenge. Also like the unusual colour scheme combo - very period.😀
Good to see you’ve reused/renovated original parts where possible, otherwise they’re lost to the bike forever!

Very nicely renovated bike indeed, sounds like it must have been some challenge. Also like the unusual colour scheme combo - very period.😀
Good to see you’ve reused/renovated original parts where possible, otherwise they’re lost to the bike forever!
Many thanks, it was a quite challenge but very satisfying to bring back to life. My main thoughts were do I really need another mountain bike and the answer was of course yes why not! I suppose many frames with seized posts etc get scrapped which is such a shame. I was lucky cutting the BB out as no marks to the threads at all, I thought removing the seized seatpost would be much easier which was not the case at all. I did not wish to burn it out as this would mean refinishing the frame again but luckily caustic soda worked. Must add that although I don't post much on this forum I do lurk a bit and I find many posts to be positive and inspirational!

Back