Show us your FAT CHANCE

Do you find Yos less stable than wickeds? Quicker? The lower rake should give it more stability at high speeds but this is theory. The ride experience matters more.
A Yo has more direct steering with factory segmented forks, with less rake and is a bit stiffer with wider diameter thin wall tubing, so more race geometry biased handling. Wickeds are correspondingly built for comfort and all around versatility but still with great handling. It all nuanced by design and fabrication as all FATs are. Performance GT versus pure race car set up if you will.

Re:

My 1987 Fat Chance with a 24" rear wheel and U brake Fat Box crown forks…
52671561512_fba41e174d_c.jpg

I'm building a 1990-91 Yo Eddy too. Wait and see :mrgreen:
And now, the Yo Eddy…
FatChanceYoEddy-1 by 24pouces, sur Flickr

A Yo has more direct steering with factory segmented forks, with less rake and is a bit stiffer with wider diameter thin wall tubing, so more race geometry biased handling. Wickeds are correspondingly built for comfort and all around versatility but still with great handling. It all nuanced by design and fabrication as all FATs are. Performance GT versus pure race car set up if you will.
From 1997 untill 1991, Wickeds were the high performance bikes on the Fat City Cycles line up. Designed for quick handling on east coast trails.... not comfort.

From 1997 untill 1991, Wickeds were the high performance bikes on the Fat City Cycles line up. Designed for quick handling on east coast trails.... not comfort.
Owned a few Wickeds, 6 Yos and currently have a Wicked Lite, so I beg to differ on that 👍 Many people have been loaded up touring on Wickeds for years. They posted photo cards back to FCC who regularly used them on their marketing material. Owned my Team Comp since 89, exact same geometry as a Wicked, the highest performance version at almost 3X a Wicked price ‘at the time’ and the handling is of course superb ( all FATs have that ) but its incredibly comfortable to ride. I toured around Europe, Ireland many times on it and once rode from N London, down the south roads, then on SDW to Brighton to watch the TDF Ditchling Beacon in 94, then rode further down the coast, then all the way back to N London in a day on Spesh GC tyres and then went out clubbing until 6am. Thats what I call all day riding comfort 🤗

Owned a few Wickeds, 6 Yos and currently have a Wicked Lite, so I beg to differ on that 👍 Many people have been loaded up touring on Wickeds for years. They posted photo cards back to FCC who regularly used them on their marketing material. Owned my Team Comp since 89, exact same geometry as a Wicked, the highest performance version at almost 3X a Wicked price ‘at the time’ and the handling is of course superb ( all FATs have that ) but its incredibly comfortable to ride. I toured around Europe, Ireland many times on it and once rode from N London, down the south roads, then on SDW to Brighton to watch the TDF Ditchling Beacon in 94, then rode further down the coast, then all the way back to N London in a day on Spesh GC tyres and then went out clubbing until 6am. Thats what I call all day riding comfort 🤗
You feel it´s more comfortable and i can´t disagre w/ feel. But to say it was designed for touring and comfort... i dont think that´s true. They were known as fast almost twitchy bikes, used for racing, designed for quick and intuitive handling on steep, rocky, rutted singletrack. The wicked could be an all around bike when mtn bikes were all around, used by couriers and commuters. I also own one.

Attachments

• wicked aterro.jpg
    wicked aterro.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You feel it´s more comfortable and i can´t disagre w/ feel. But to say it was designed for touring and comfort... i dont think that´s true. They were known as fast almost twitchy bikes, used for racing, designed for quick and intuitive handling on steep, rocky, rutted singletrack. The wicked could be an all around bike when mtn bikes were all around, used by couriers and commuters. I also own one.
It relative of course but compared to a Klein Attitude I had, they are very comfortable to ride hard for long periods. Bikes can be stiff eg Serotta T Max but still comfortable to ride all day which I used to do at Epping Forest/SDW other day out rides with a posse of riders bitd. We agree the Wickeds, TCs, Yos are great handling bikes for riding through trees, around/through technical rock gardens/terrain ( loved that style of technical riding in the Peaks District, Wales etc ) but obviously you had to pick your lines slowly with canti brakes. We could not just blow straight over everything like a modern full susder with disk brakes. Intuitive telepathic handling as some ex racer once said about his FAT. Anyway lovely Wicked you have 😎 Heres my WL in previous owners guise. I have RSRs and Bullseyes on it now and my TC.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 15
Back