Thias

Klein Fan
Seem we're missing this thread, so I just start one. :D

Made a rather large haul for rather stupid money yesterday. Had to drive basicalle obe whole day to get the stuff. So I'll have to show it RIGHT NOW!

B3, B4, B5 including the proper folding forks. Some funny brakes. Some even more funny hubs.

Cheers!

No. The yellow one is freshly painted and in superb nic. One of the brakes is NOS though.

AMP had been on my list for the longest time, too.
And now the planet went into alingnment, it seems. :D

Nice. But saying they made it, seems a bit... They slapped a sticker on. Seems to me.
That's a debateable point. Bikes are all a collection of parts made by a variety of different factories, so yes the bike was made at KTM in Austria, they still are made there. But the components and frames are sourced from factories all over the world, it was the same back in the 90s. Frames are made at factories, most of those factories are not owned by the bike brand who uses the frame. But yes, then and now, lots of bike brands license suspension designs from other companies.

Well, yes and no. It depends on your definition of "making a bike". For me, a bike is made by the company, that did the development of the frame. I am aware, that this definition is debatable and not as sharp of a definition as it can be. But that's just my opinion. So in case of AMP there were a lot of frames that had a rear end made by or licensed from AMP, but the front triangle was developed/made by someone else. For example Rocky mountain, Dagger or dean. Those I would still consider "made" by those companies. The KTM here on the other hand has a frame that is bought from AMP 100%. They "just" put the parts on and used their own badge. So by my very own definition this is still an AMP. A branded AMP but an AMP non the less.

Ok, you're talking about the frame, then. I'm talking about the bike, and I'm basing things on the legal definitions, because sadly I have to deal with this now because of the Country of Origin rules of importing bikes Made In Austria into the UK. But yes on the frame, we're in agreeement this is a rebadged AMP, bought and then sold by KTM in their range from that year. But the bike was made by KTM ;)

two additional images.

I'm not sure on the legalities of labelling back in the 90s, but this is on the chainstay.

image0.jpeg

Then of course the Amp back end.

image1.jpeg

Just googled it and there is a long relationship with AMP research and KTM on the motorbike side, so that's interesting

I don't know how that relationship started or ending, but it is interesting, because the Horst Link Specialized and others used, is interesting because Horst worked at KTM first.

Back