Show us what you did today, thread

First time up the lift access tracks at Nevis Range on Saturday. Wanted to do them for years but always a bit nervous. Turns out I had good reason! Didn’t go anywhere near the World Cup track, even a couple of parts of Top Chief black trail were beyond me. Luckily I was on a coaching/guiding day from Rideout Coaching and had loads of help putting all the pieces together. First run we broke the track into sections and practiced them a bit at a time. Next time down was longer sections but still stopping to catch our breaths. Third time down was part black then down the rest of the blue. Blue itself wasn’t technical but bloody hard work due to sheer length and roughness.
Hoping for a return trip later in the year once I’ve a summer of riding under my belt.

Hope the silence round here means you are all spending more time riding than looking at the internet.

IMG_7757.jpeg IMG_7758.jpeg IMG_7767.jpeg

Not remotely "what i did today "

I'm a Scottish ex pat visiting from Australia

In Fort William today, then Aviemore, followed by a week in Hamilton and a week in Edinburgh

Anything worth aeeing in terms of cool bike shops, collections etc?

Thanks in advance :)

@fatfixie , a whole week in Hamilton? My condolences :p

Riverside museum in Glasgow is well worth a visit. It's the new home to the old Kelvingrove Transport museum and has a fantastic display of bikes hanging from the roof in a helix. Lots of cool cars and motorbikes as well and it's free. If you make it there, then Kelvingrove museum (also free) is not far and is also great, especially for the Spitfire hanging from the roof.
If you like old industrial stuff then Summerlee museum in Coatbridge is only 15 minutes from Hamilton and a good way to spend a couple of hours. My wee boy and his granny loved the old electric tram.

Nothing to speak of in way of cool bike shops that I'd go out of my way to visit.

You planning on riding? If you are in Edinburgh then Glentress would be an easy visit and has hire on site.

Enjoy the weather, it's not always like this. Probably why you left.

@fatfixie , a whole week in Hamilton? My condolences :p

Riverside museum in Glasgow is well worth a visit. It's the new home to the old Kelvingrove Transport museum and has a fantastic display of bikes hanging from the roof in a helix. Lots of cool cars and motorbikes as well and it's free. If you make it there, then Kelvingrove museum (also free) is not far and is also great, especially for the Spitfire hanging from the roof.
If you like old industrial stuff then Summerlee museum in Coatbridge is only 15 minutes from Hamilton and a good way to spend a couple of hours. My wee boy and his granny loved the old electric tram.

Nothing to speak of in way of cool bike shops that I'd go out of my way to visit.

You planning on riding? If you are in Edinburgh then Glentress would be an easy visit and has hire on site.

Enjoy the weather, it's not always like this. Probably why you left.
Thanks for the reply . We are visiting my cousin in Hamilton. Will be lots of day trips :)

No plans to ride mtb this time . I’m from Edinburgh and used to ride Glentress before it was a trail parks bee there once since

We brought a couple of a Bromptons with us , so a bit of pootling around no doubt . They came in very handy in Berlin :😀

It’s a shame - all Nike ships worldwide are becoming very corporate/samey

I will pop into a couple I used to work at / manage BITD…..

Out and about on Sunday when Brian and I had a ride down Glen Affric. We did the loop out from Beauly down one side of the river then after some lunch and a cuppa at Cannick we headed back up the other, quiet side. Though to be fair both sides were relatively quiet but the way back before we crossed back over the river we seen 2 cars and 3 bikes over the 15 or so miles on that side.
We had nice weather and very little wind in the valley so quite nice riding. Brian was on his ever reliable Cube while I was on the Mercian.
Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Popped my e-bike cherry this morning 🍒

Took one of the Big Issue bikes we have around Aberdeen down to the beach, went for a run, and rode back home.
Using the App to unlock the bike was pretty simple, and you just have to return it to one of the geofenced locations around town, there's one at the end of my street, which is handy.
Pedal assist kicks in as soon as you set off and cuts out around 15mph, so getting away from the lights was pretty swift, but above 15mph you hit a bit of a wall, the bikes weigh a ton, and it actually feels like something is trying to slow you down.
Drum brakes were ok, but needed a firm pull to get them working, but I guess they're low maintenance compared to others.

So in general I was pretty impressed with the pedal assist, it makes it easy to pootle along.

I wasn't so impressed with the cost though, 15 mins there, 17mins back, cost £7.80, that's on their PAYG tariff, or I could subscribe for £20 a month and pay a lower rate per minute.
Pretty sure a bus would be cheaper, or a car, or....

I guess there's no hassles though, no locking my own bike up at the beach, no worries, no maintenance etc.

I don't think I'll be a regular user, if it was half the price then I might be, I get that it's a charity, giving folk jobs etc, and I'm effectively donating with each hire, but still...

I don't really know who uses the bikes? Young Eco city dwellers wanting to get somewhere whilst feeling good about "making a difference"?
It's definitely not the working classes as a: it's too expensive, and b: there are no hire locations in the more deprived areas of town.

I think in future I'll just take my partners Kona Hahanna (she never rides it anyway😅), it may be pink, but it's no less embarrassing to be seen on than a step-thru bike with a basket 😂 And if it gets nicked I doubt it'll be missed 👀

🤷🏼‍♂️

Screenshot_20230603-103422.jpg
IMG_20230603_091629.jpg

Back