Show us what you did today, thread

Is that the road gap near the top that goes straight into the long straight wood chute? scary speed down there :)

Storm Arwen apparently took out the straight, so they came off that jump in bright sunshine and dove into the dark woods into a right followed quickly by a 90 degree left. Pretty much had to land on the brakes to make the turns.

Fantastic pics from Jamie and Clubby 👍. I’m off this week, planning on riding every day 😁. Must get a bit fitter and shed a few pounds. Need to try and keep up with you all on the next ride.

Well done clubby, a long shift indeed.

But I thought you were marshalling not actually competing? ;)

3d5439a0-e57f-11ec-b301-a14b0bc944ba.jpg

Well after a busy month if not longer of visitors and weekends where I was away, sometimes riding, sometimes not I finally managed to get down to see Brian and get out for a ride together. Have been flying solo for a while now and was missing our adventures and also his company. Brian has had a bit of an issue with his knee for a short while but he assured me it was getting better and that a ride was definitely on the cards.
First problem up here was the rain for Sunday, Brians way didn't seem much better but just to the south was meant to be fine. So a quick look at the map and a rough plan to just head to Daviot and ride the national cycle route 7 south to Carrbridge, have a coffee and see where we are for time etc. Brian was on his Rohloff Voodoo and I was on my ever dependable Long Haul Trucker. I have been riding mainly my Mercian and Jack Taylor lately with the Trucker used for commuting etc sporadically lately. I really wanted back on one of our rides to get back into the Trucker and evaluate a couple of things, mainly as I may be buying a modern frame to build up and just wanted to see if I really needed to :)
Brian was with family in Inverness when I came through and picked him up on route and we were still down, parked in a layby getting ready to ride just after midday.
A nice leisurely pace had us riding along the cycle paths and empty roads through Tomatin, Shlochd and along to Carrbridge in a decent time despite the now growing headwind. Even the long drag up out of Tomatin didn't seem to bother us and with Brians knee co operating it was all in all a very pleasant ride. We stopped at a bakery/coffee shop in Carrbridge and sat outside in the sunshine enjoying a cuppa and a cake before heading pretty much back the way we came. Quite disconcerting in places as you could hear the traffic close by on the A9 but couldn't see it so often you thought someone was coming up behind you. We seen barely any cars at all when we were on the small roads themselves.
The Trucker was it's usual comfortable pleasure and realised on the ride that it's about 11 years I have been riding this lovely bike and so I probably should have it dialled in by now.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Epicyclo with gears!!! His knee must have been bad. Glad to see him back out, I was wondering if he’d been banished back to Oz.

A few photos from yesterdays ride out on the Jack Taylor on the mixed surface roads out around Loch More/Altnabreac out in the flow country. Cracking afternoon for it and the Jack Taylor handled it all with ease. Horses for courses of course and I ride the old beauty sympathetically but it still runs this type of gravel surprisingly fast and surprisingly comfortable. Running 30ml Jackie Browns which has a nice volume so can run slightly lower pressures.
Morning was rubbish here so it was good to enjoy such a nice afternoon. I think I seen 4 people all afternoon out there, 2 on the water with SUPs and 2 older ladies riding their electric MTB's.

Jamie

Thursday I managed time off so Wednesday Brian and I hatched a rough plan to go on a road ride, I know, I know, not what anyone was expecting ;)
First thing Weds I headed down to Brians with the plan being to head out to Marybank way and ride down the other side of the river to Meig dam and then head down into the estate roads and head to the end of the road. As usual we would take detours as and when required.
Luckily the weather was decent and stayed that way for most of the day though it was quite breezy heading out.
We were out for about 5 hours or so riding through some lovely scenery going from glen to glen being spoilt for views around each bend.
I was on the King of Mercia and it was it's usual well riding, enjoyable self. Sure footed whether on or off road.
We did discover a few well off road loops that we will investigate further on the 1X1s later in the summer. If anyone wishes to join us just let one of us know and we can work around it.

Jamie

Brian crossing one of the rickety bridges