Show us what you did today, thread

Hi Steven :)
Good to have you back on board and glad to hear your doing OK. It's been a little while but not much has changed :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2rk0occ5 said:
Hi Steven :)
Good to have you back on board and glad to hear your doing OK. It's been a little while but not much has changed :)

Jamie

Cheers Jamie, much appreciated. I was enjoying your pictures of the frozen River Thurso earlier, and was wondering if the tree lined avenue is the one to Ackergill Tower. We stayed there in the tree house, loved it and were determined to go back sometime, the week before the place closed forever :-(

Re:

So, technically this was what I did on Tuesday, but as the site has been down I've not been able to post owt!

I decided to go for a wee adventure around Tolsta Head, a boggy pedal around some jutting headland which leads to a very long beach, Traigh Mhor.

It was beautiful weather with sunshine and no wind at all.

Here are the first batch of pics:

Attachments

• th7.JPG
    th7.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
  • th6.JPG
    th6.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
  • th5.JPG
    th5.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • th4.JPG
    th4.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
  • th3.JPG
    th3.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 205
  • th2.JPG
    th2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 205
  • th1.JPG
    th1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 205
Re:

The path followed the contours of the headland, sometimes very close to the edge, but the views were spectacular.

Eventually the track led down to the shore.

No idea why it's taken me 53 years to pedal a bike on a beach, but I reckon a proper fat bike is on the cards now! :cool:

Attachments

• th14.jpeg
    th14.jpeg
    685.9 KB · Views: 204
  • th13.JPG
    th13.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
  • th12.JPG
    th12.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 204
  • th11.JPG
    th11.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 204
  • th10.JPG
    th10.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 204
  • th9.JPG
    th9.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
  • th8.JPG
    th8.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 204
Velofrog, fantastic photos and what a ride!
I think a post lockdown Isle ride is on the cards for sure. :)
Good to hear from you as well, hope all's well, certainly looks good bike wise ;)

Hi Steven, the tree lined avenue in my photos is actually over nearer Castletown, up the back of Olrig, past the Commonwealth war graves cemetery.

Jamie

Only just realised where Tolsta is, within the parish of Stornoway, which also includes the village of Leurbost where my Great Granny came from. Beaches are spectacular when it's nice, unfortunately, when I visited a few years back it was visibility very poor most of my stay. Did see one beach on the west coast beyond a lonely graveyard that was spectacular when the sun appeared for a few hours. :cool:

Re:

That’s cool Velo! :cool:

There are many beaches with cemeteries, but could have been Dalmore beach perhaps?

Harris is where the proper beaches are though, never fails to catch my breath, even in the bad weather!

I’m not one for mystical references or religious experiences, but there is something magical about the place that’s for sure.

Back