Show me your self coloured bikes

They have powder coated 3 bikes for me but I have never tried their painting service. Have you asked Andy at Eastside bikes for a quote? You can see some of his work in the shop and it looks very good.
Is that Sandy Gilchrist's old shop? I'm not down there often, but thought I saw some quite fetching old bikes in the window when I passed just recently. I didn't know they offered frame painting, but that's good to know. Apart from anything else, I'd like to have someone doing the job that will flag any potential structural problems when the existing paint is stripped. Thanks.

Is that Sandy Gilchrist's old shop? I'm not down there often, but thought I saw some quite fetching old bikes in the window when I passed just recently. I didn't know they offered frame painting, but that's good to know. Apart from anything else, I'd like to have someone doing the job that will flag any potential structural problems when the existing paint is stripped. Thanks.
I am not sure about any SG connection but Andy certainly appears to know his stuff.

Years ago I was offered a Miki-built Union Sapporo frame in my size. At €5 I couldn't refuse, and it ended up in my attic.

It's the lavender-colored example:

1k0.jpg

Years later I came across it again, and decided to build it up as intended by Union, but wasn't impressed by the result. It's fairly light and it feels rock-solid, but doesn't have the liveliness of a Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL frame:

1k0.jpg

I did like the quality and the general look of the frame, though, so I decided to take another route and build it into a light tourer, Parisian style. This involved a repaint, among other things, in a grey-ish blue:

1k0.jpg

This turned out to be a much better application for this frame.

1k0.jpg

Semantics:
a)I painted this myself. It's an approximation of the colour I desired.
b)I painted this myself. It's exactly the colour I desired.
c)I got someone to paint this for me. It's an approximation of the colour I desired.
d)I got someone to paint this for me. It's exactly the colour I desired.
e) The localest source of Humbrol has literally one 50ml tin of paint left
that looks like it has been there for long enough for it to be proper enamel paint rather than whatever formula Humbrol are using these days. So effectively I didn't choose the colour. It sort of chose me.
If I paint my bike with it, does it qualify as 'self coloured'?

For free: Dark colours make tubes look thin. Light colours make tubes look fat.

Looking back through some of mine it seems I don't often do single colours unless its to keep something similar to original but here's a couple of the odd ones I've done that are not factory correct apart from the Abeni Europa, might be some ideas there

Attachments

• Meral-01-s.jpg
    Meral-01-s.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 31
  • woodrup.jpg
    woodrup.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Geoffrey Butler.jpg
    Geoffrey Butler.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Europa.jpg
    Europa.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 26
  • no name sm.jpg
    no name sm.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 31
  • Sid Mottram cc.jpg
    Sid Mottram cc.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 31
Looking back through some of mine it seems I don't often do single colours unless its to keep something similar to original but here's a couple of the odd ones I've done that are not factory correct apart from the Abeni Europa, might be some ideas there
Nice fleet. I like the Sid Mottram colourway. What paints did you use?

Thanks that one is a personal favourite, they're all rattle can specials by my own fair hand.
Cool. Did you use Montana, spray.bike, loop, Molotow?

It'd be interesting how you masked the headtubes and intricate lugs . Frog tape & scalpel I presume?

Back