Shogun Trail Breaker

Re:

I got a
shogun trailblazer 1
26 inch
18 speed

It is brand new in a box
is it worth anything ?
should I use it? or sell it too somebody that actually gonna use the bike more than me?
I would use a few times a year probably.

I got it from an auction with a lot of other stuff

thankfull for any answers
can get pics of the bike if anyone needs it

Hi everyone. I recently restored a Shogun Trail Breaker 3 (Not sure if it's 1989 or later model). Thought I'd post it here and someone might appreciate it. Cheers!

Attachments

• Shogun Trail Breaker 3.jpg
    Shogun Trail Breaker 3.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Shogun Trail Breaker 3 1989.jpg
    Shogun Trail Breaker 3 1989.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 46
Nice looking restoration , well done

What brakes do you have on there ? they look almost like suntour/pedersen self energisers ?

Nice looking restoration , well done

What brakes do you have on there ? they look almost like suntour/pedersen self energisers ?
Thank you! But I can't take all the credit, a friend of mine helped me in restoring it.

And good eye! Yes, they are the suntour pedersen cantilevers. I can't find any new old stock exage 400 groupset/brakes (the original groupset installed in the bike) so had to change to suntour cantis.

I am guessing that you have fitted the same brake front and back ? hopefully at £4.99 a pair from SJS

The question is how well do the 'front' brakes work ? The suntour/pedersen was only supplied as a self energising
rear brake so its hard to see how it would work if you fitted it 'backwards' to the front .

You might expect the brake to de-energise !

Pedersen did make a front version of the brake based on the same design principles . Suntour considered the
brake to be potentially too dangerous. If any front wheel distortion took place it could lead to a sudden uncontrolled
grabbing of the rim with obvious results

Yes. Same brake for front and back. Got them for £11.89 (based on my conversion) at a special bike shop here.

I was reluctant to install it on the front and I do worry about it. It's actually very "powerful" and I use it very carefully. I haven't had any major issues on it so far, but I'm also thinking of changing them to a more appropriate front cantilever brake
I am guessing that you have fitted the same brake front and back ? hopefully at £4.99 a pair from SJS

The question is how well do the 'front' brakes work ? The suntour/pedersen was only supplied as a self energising
rear brake so its hard to see how it would work if you fitted it 'backwards' to the front .

You might expect the brake to de-energise !

Pedersen did make a front version of the brake based on the same design principles . Suntour considered the
brake to be potentially too dangerous. If any front wheel distortion took place it could lead to a sudden uncontrolled
grabbing of the rim with obvious results

Hi all! I'm currently restoring a Shogun Trailbreaker 1. I found it in the scrap pile at a bike workshop I volunteer at (student ran, co-op to get bikes out for free to students/members of the community. Come check it out if you ever have to be in North Eastern Scotland :) (called BeCyCle, in Aberdeen). Anyways, stripped everything, and turning it into a beater/gravel bike. It's gotten some mixed reviews from other volunteers but it caught my eye immediately. Frame was in good knick apart from some scrapes, no serious rust despite being left outside for months (at the shop, in a pile of rusting metal) if not years.

I can't seem to fit regular cavalier brakes on it, they have a larger pistol hole than other cavaliers so I might put v-brakes on it and get a converter for the SPD shifters. Ideally I'd put cavaliers on it, but all seem to be too small. If you know anything about this please let me know. I'm having to replace everything because all the parts were so rusty. Have replaced wheels, got a fresh bottom bracket, new crankset (1x9), and I'm going to put a stem converter on it so I can put wide gravel bars on it! So excited about it.

259013177_670518707418590_8984834255177664598_n.jpg
Re:

Sounds like a few of us have fond memories of our Trailbreakers.I had never seen another one about,when I had mine,so I know they are not that common........Anyone got one?...Had one?...Restoring one?....If so,let's see them!!!

I saw a few Shogun's around town BITD. They all had triple triangle frames so I just figured they were Taiwanese manufactured GT knock offs and didn't give them much thought.

Latest posts

Back