Set of 27" wheels from ??????. Loft find

Re: Set of 27" wheels from early/mid sixties. Loft find

Just in and had a look and they are indeed clinchers, just single walled no real lip to speak of. I should have looked closer before posting, my apologies.
Anyway to date these Sachs 7V 6W hubs? I did think these had a date code stamped on them after about 1985 or so but again I could well be mistaken or confused on that one.
Really just trying to find out if they went with the frame. Will see about fitting them to the frame later on.
I will also get a photo of my obvious mistake Ned :oops:

Jamie

Ok, While I am in he middle of something else family wise, I couldn't help myself and ducked up(??) the loft to have a proper look at the wheels. Something I maybe should have done before asking you guys to look at the wheels :oops:
Well, the plot thickens, they don't seem to be for this frame as I measure the back wheel (in the dark with a dodgy tape) to be 126mm while the frame is 120mm and when trying to fit, the axle on the front seems way too tight for the drop out.
I wonder where they came from?? Maybe it was just a normal bike enthusiast who stored some stuff in the loft and maybe something happened to him, or he went away and never returned?? Maybe they threw out all the grubby stuff and as these seem new they kept them?? I am afraid we will never know.
One thing is that like all Taylors it has massive clearance as even with these in there I will need a good drop on the front brake. My Super Clubman I am running the Jack Brown tyres in a 700 x 33.5 with mudguards and there is still tons of clearance :LOL:

Oh well I am sure there will be a use for them, whether on this or even the old Triumph roadster gift from Brian (epicyclo) hanging in the loft.
Any more ideas/pointers guys?
Appreciate your help as always

Jamie

Obviously there are plenty of 27 x 1.25” tyres out there so that’s not a problem.... They might make a great set for a tourer....

Re:

There are far too many spacers on the gear side.

27 x 1 1/4 were the standard wired on tyre in the 40s to 60s. That is why we always used tubulars. It seems few remember wired on tyres which are essentially the same system as used by cars.
However the sizing was simplicity itself. the vast majority of bikes in the UK were 26 x 1 3/8, 26 x 1 1/4 or 27 x 1 1/4.
27 inches being the outside diameter and the important bit 25 1/2 inches inside diameter to fit the rim.. The outside diameter could vary.

So a retailer would stock mainly these 3 sizes for 95% of bikes.

I see the spokes from the inside of the flanges are correctly angled in opposite directions. This is because the wheel builders used the fastest method of hand assembly. It would take far longer to explain this than do it. This pair of wheels would have had the spokes loose assembled in 5 minutes. I could do a cheap 40 hole in 3 minutes.

Keith

Cheers Keith, much appreciated.
I thought when I went up to fit them that one of the spacers on the gear side doesn't look the same as the others, still black but looks a bit more tarnished.
A bit before my time so always grateful for any information.

Jamie

Re:

I guess there is a 'not before' year discoverable for a seven digit phone number with a 021 code, as well as the 'not after 1995' pointed out by LGF. I think phone numbers were only up to four or five digits in the sixties. You might want to edit your thread title Jamie?

Re:

Thanks, I will do. :)
Oh well, just would have been good to know when and where the came from. Always a use for a nice set of wheels.

Jamie

Re: Re:

torqueless":2hi24nnr said:
I guess there is a 'not before' year discoverable for a seven digit phone number with a 021 code, as well as the 'not after 1995' pointed out by LGF. I think phone numbers were only up to four or five digits in the sixties. You might want to edit your thread title Jamie?

All Figure Numbering (type that carefully :oops: ) came about in 1966.......

Re:

Peachy!":27kxqjkr said:
torqueless":27kxqjkr said:

I get the distinct impression that you were going out of your way to create an unambiguous statement there, Peachy, but I feel compelled to alert you to the fact that, if that was your intention, you have failed, at least where I am concerned. I will attempt to paraphrase you, which will reveal whether I have understood you or not:

Before 1966, if you wanted to talk to Scotland Yard on the phone you would have to first talk to the operator and ask them to connect you to "Whitehall 1212", like people do in those old films. After 1966, you could ring them directly.

Warm or cold? :)

Doing a little bit of detective work of my own, I have traced 021 numbers with a further seven digits as far back as 1978, so that is (at least) a seventeen year window during which these wheels could be expected to have been assembled.

Re: Re:

torqueless":2e02bofp said:
Peachy!":2e02bofp said:
torqueless":2e02bofp said:

I get the distinct impression that you were going out of your way to create an unambiguous statement there, Peachy, but I feel compelled to alert you to the fact that, if that was your intention, you have failed, at least where I am concerned. I will attempt to paraphrase you, which will reveal whether I have understood you or not:

Before 1966, if you wanted to talk to Scotland Yard on the phone you would have to first talk to the operator and ask them to connect you to "Whitehall 1212", like people do in those old films. After 1966, you could ring them directly.

Warm or cold? :)

Doing a little bit of detective work of my own, I have traced 021 numbers with a further seven digits as far back as 1978, so that is (at least) a seventeen year window during which these wheels could be expected to have been assembled.

I was just being a bit silly really.....although.....I’d date those rims as having been manufactured back in the late 60’s at least, I have a set of very similar 26” ones on my sons 1969 Claud Butler Electron Super Five, put on it by the shop it was bought from in 1970.

But as LGF said, those hubs were around much later which is when I presume the Birmingham shop built them up then applied the sticker.

One thing is for certain.... I’d love to have found them...

Back