Set of 27" wheels from ??????. Loft find

Should I be saying that I binned so many of these wheels over the years as I simply couldnt stand chrome plated rims?

No?

Well I did! No more leather insert pads! Proper braking for proper people!

Up the revolution!

Re:

I was just being a bit silly really....

Yeah me too.. (but you didn't answer my question) :evil: :)

Am I correct in assuming that the '18' stamped on these rims denotes an 18mm wide rim? And if so, who was making tyres for them? As Keith mentioned, wired on tyres were 27x1 1/4". Don't we have to wait until 1975 before we get the first narrow wired on tyre, the Michelin Elan?

Just out of interest, my first pair of decent wheels had 27" Michelin Elans on Weinmann Alesa rims, which is like the other way around- a narrow tyre on a rim whose width was designed to complement the ubiquitous 27x1 1/4" tyres of the Seventies and before.

Mmmmmm Michelin Elans..... I’ve got some on my Super Coureur.., on early Belgian Weinmans.... they roll soooo well. ;)

And yes, they are 25mm designed to run on 1-1/4” rims (see label)

Attachments

• 965F2294-E3A0-4D13-BA8C-C01AED647197.jpeg
    965F2294-E3A0-4D13-BA8C-C01AED647197.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 376
Re:

Having a look at your build thread I notice that the Weinmann rims are stamped '17x630'.... so what does this '18' and '17' denote? Is it the internal width of the rim? I presume those Weinmann rims are not 17mm wide on the outside?

Re: Re:

torqueless":2860wj1h said:
Having a look at your build thread I notice that the Weinmann rims are stamped '17x630'.... so what does this '18' and '17' denote? Is it the internal width of the rim? I presume those Weinmann rims are not 17mm wide on the outside?

To be honest, I don’t know, and had not thought to ask. Always happily gone down the try fitting it route in my ignorance... :|

Hopefully some of the older guys on here may have an explanation?

Ps those old Weinmans are well over an inch wide

I had an old Raleigh with those rims circa early 80's. Took it touring around Holland in 1990's after extracting it from parents shed as I had no other bike available. Big mistake, zero brakes in the wet, nearly died cycling through Newcastle to the ferry. Also collided with a Dutch pedestrian when emergency braking failed utterly during another miserable wet day.
Van Schornhorst probably translates as something inflamatory screamed by a rider as they rode to their death on some wet day. Good thing Hollands flat, no hills to plough down..

The 26" Vans on Our Jimmy's Electron have these little grooves/details... they stop fine in the wet, but tear the arse out of the pads in the dry..

Attachments

• After C.jpeg
    After C.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 338
legrandefromage":deswn2xz said:
Should I be saying that I binned so many of these wheels over the years as I simply couldnt stand chrome plated rims?

No?

Well I did! No more leather insert pads! Proper braking for proper people!

Up the revolution!

I thought you only took from the bins ;) not gave back :)

So it seems safe to say they weren't put away with the frame, or weren't for the frame. Which isn't a problem as they were just a bit of a bonus to come with it. At least now I can build what I want for the frame without feeling like I should use them for being with it all this time.
Good clean, round wheels will always be useful for someone or something, and if not for me I know someone who will give them a good useful life ;)
Thanks for the knowledge sharing, always good.

Jamie

Back