Set of 27" wheels from ??????. Loft find

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all
I picked up a really lovely Jack Taylor frame last week that I had purchased the other month.
This set of wheel came with it and as can be seen they have never been used.
The frame is a 1963 Jack Taylor sport that may have been partially built, maybe lightly used and then for whatever reason was put into a loft in about 1963/4. I am taking it that the wheels went in at the same time. They were all in a bin bag and had been moved from one house to another when the wife of the original owner passed. The person I purchased them from was cleaning out his mother in laws loft as she was getting quite elderly when he found this bin bag with a frame and another with the wheels. The MIL only vaguely remembered them coming a long time ago but couldn't remember exactly where it originated or why they went into the loft.
Anyway they are really nice with no real corrosion, some slight pit marks coming up but I am sure these will clean off. I haven't cleaned them yet but they are in such good condition and even the plain gauge spokes are looking pretty decent.
I wondered if anybody could tell me a bit more about them, not their history, but their build, etc. Just thought I would share and see if they may be of interest to see.
They are Sachs hubs, the rear marked 7V W6, the front T6 and are laced to a pair of 27 x 1 1/4 Van Scothorst Made In Holland rims. They have never had a tyre near them judging how clean they are. They were built by 'The Midlands Wheel Company, Birmingham'.

Jamie

IMG_1918 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1917 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1915 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1913 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1912 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_1910 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re: Set of 27" wheels from early/mid sixties. Loft find

Look nice, decent 27" are harder to find these days.

The phone number has an STD code, when did they start?

Looking at those hubs, they are much newer than you might think, they look 1990's, the '021' Birmingham number would have been valid until 1995

Thats still over 20 years ago though

*the date codes if the internet is not telling lies again puts the hubs at around September 1977 but I have a feeling that they are much later.

That's good to know as while they were in the loft with the frame, they were in a separate bag. So the plot thickens, we traced how the frame got into the loft but still couldn't figure out exactly which relative it was and from what I gathered, the only one who may now still know, has dementia. Hence why the trail came to a dead end. I should check them in the frame to see whether the frame was for 27". It may not have been, but I know a man who also has a 1963 Sport just a couple of numbers after this one and see what his runs.
Either way they are nice wheels :)

Jamie

Midland Wheel were a well known wheel company building wheels for manufacturers and the trade. Mostly common steel wheels.

Keith

Thanks Keith
These are stainless rims and saying that they are a relatively lite wheelset.
I know that Van Schothorst were taken over by Rigida in the mid 90's but you could still buy steel rims branded Van Schothorst from Rigida.
The gentleman I got them from said his mother in law was sure they would have been together, though will most likely never know for sure unless I can date them. (Not in a candle light dinner, Barry White sort of way) ;)

Jamie

Jamie

Are you sure they’re for tubs, or just a single-wall rim? I don’t think I’ve come across a 27x1-1/4” size tub, only clincher.

Thanks, I will check again tonight when I get in. To be honest I just gave them a quick once over so might have just had that in my head without checking. Haven't even given them a clean let alone polish.
Cheers

Jamie

Jonny69":3b45otsb said:
Are you sure they’re for tubs, or just a single-wall rim? I don’t think I’ve come across a 27x1-1/4” size tub, only clincher.

Definitely, and I've never seen a stainless sprint rim either. Do you have a photo of the inside of the rim?

Back