Seriously rare thing: FIR gold rim on STX - for Clockwork

Re:

MagpieG - these are interesting rims/wheels. Italian, very strong. Good alloy, so keep their shape and resist wall wear. Compared to M231s, they are vastly superior. Very light. Eyeletted, which means more strength and resilience. I far preferred them BITD to the ubiquitous Mavic M231, but even then they were hard to come by. Orange spec’d them on C16Rs and P7s for a couple of years only, and as OEM fitment by Orange in Halifax they are a great reference to the history of Orange.

Re: Pretty rare thing: FIR gold rim on STX - for Clockwork

RWM has matching rim to make up a front.....that will be a damn nice pair of now scarce wheels....

Re:

So if you had an Alu O, an O2 and maybe an Elite - a pair of these rims and a Hope front hub and XTR rear (rather than STX) - what would you do with them?

Ah - I’d sell one of your very nice but body-beating aluminium frames and buy a mid 1990s C16R (Clockwork) or P7 frame and build the rims onto the XTR and Hope and stand back and go ‘oooooh that’s nice....’.

I think the limited run of use of FIR as OEM was specifically for the steel bikes...but anyone else?

What size frame do you need?

Re:

I'd best flog em then - cos the Alu O is my original bike from Bitd - and the O2 is recent retro-modded.
;)

That sounds like A Plan - they genuinely are very rare things and were preferred over the ever popular Mavic m231 since they were stronger, eyeletted (so built up nicely) and not made out of cheese, unlike some batches of m231s. ARe yours NOS?

I remember these as OEM for the Oranges.

Unfortunately I seem to also remember their ridged sidewall meant that many were scrapped because people thought they were worn out

*it was a concave sidewall, supposed to keep the pads centred but also made them look knackered

Back