Scott Pro Racing '92-Seatpost diam.?

fearfactoryüberalles

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Dear retrofans,

I've just bought a black/lime 1992 Scott Pro Comp, equipped with XTR.

Looked good & original on pictures, if with a bit of patina, but when I received it, nasty problems occured promptly. Aftermarket cheapo seatpost, FUBAR BB-UN91, badly scratched M900 cranks, chipped, rusty tubes and badly touched up paint, worn HG30 cassette+chain, cracked XTR brakepads,no pedals, and I suspect a rebuild happened sometime done by an incompetent/noob person, etc. so fcuk yeah :evil:

Mainly bought it because of the parts+frame, as I was an M900 virgin ;) so far, and I thought the frame will be pretty light too. It' s a bit too early to make an opinion on the bike, but I think M900 stuff a bit overpriced, and not superior to 8 sp. Suntour XC Pro at all. The frame's weight is 2039 gr. @ 17.5" so not stupidly light, at least I can trust it with my 95 kgs body. Forks are 808 gr., A-head and have the same groove for the canti front brake stop part on the steerer tube, as usual on threaded forks, never seen such thing before.

The very same model as featured in this topic, only difference the size (mine is 17.5 inch):

viewtopic.php?t=232481

(sorry, but I'm too lame to upload pictures here)

Anyway, I will start restoring it, because apart from the corroded, but not too worn cranks, the rest of the XTR stuff (brakes, hubs, shifters, mechs) is looking & working decent enough. I will replace the missing/worn XTR stuff with M737 XT parts, as I've already paid very heavily for the bike, (M900 bikes are like rocking horse's shite around here in Hungary) so I' cant be arsed to pay stupid money for the M900 bling, and I have the necessary Deore XT stuff in my cupboard already.

So my main question is: What is the seatpost diameter of this bike, because the generic black one at 26.2 mm is moving a bit sideways in the seattube, sinking into it very easily and the factory welded (built in) seatpost clamp is almost breaking off when the bolt is tightened to secure the seatpost, looking very scary and dodgy.

I suppose 26.4 mm must be the correct size, 26.6 mm being very rare, and 26.8 won't fit, which size I've tried already.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Cheers,
Andrew

Congrats to you and your "new" bike. I have to say, I like them very much. I have the XT version (called "Team Racing" they have the same frame iirc) and it rides really well.

I'll have a look on my seatpost for you when I come home from work.

cu
Matthias

I did look at my seatpost. Seems the frame is not the same after all. I have 30.2mm, so that does not help.

But if you have a coke can, those have 0.1mm wall width. Cut out a rectangular piece, wrap it around your existing post. There should be no overlap! If it fits, you have the proof, that 26.4 is the right size.

fearfactoryüberalles":3dmjnt1l said:
Dear retrofans,

I've just bought a black/lime 1992 Scott Pro Comp, equipped with XTR.

The very same model as featured in this topic, only difference the size (mine is 17.5 inch):

viewtopic.php?t=232481

I suppose 26.4 mm must be the correct size, 26.6 mm being very rare, and 26.8 won't fit, which size I've tried already.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

This was my bike. I checked the seatpost size and it was 27.0!
Don't know if that helps....

Cheers,
Bart

Re:

That should clear things up Bart ;)

Mine's a 26.8 though?

Thias":2n4u5mug said:
Congrats to you and your "new" bike. I have to say, I like them very much. I have the XT version (called "Team Racing" they have the same frame iirc) and it rides really well.

Matthias

Thias, is that an optical illusion, or is the top tube sloping? Mine are both horizontal :?

The Team Racing is 26.2 by the way.

Mike

Attachments

• Scott Racing Team !.jpg
    Scott Racing Team !.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,619
Dear Mike & Bart,

Thank you for your help! But I chose the dearer/simplier way to measure and went to a machinist to machine a 26.4 mm diam. rod made from steel (well, 23.95 mm exactly as "machinists speak no bullshite") at 150 mm length for me to see whether it fits or not.

Well, the bloody rod at 26.4 mm fits in and sits perfectly in place when tightened with the clamp :shock: !!! Great Scott!

So I suspect the seattube's internal diameter of these frames weren't standardized to perfection back then, to put it mildly :facepalm: . Anyway I learnt the hard way that twentysomethings can be very tricky, especially when inserting rods into them, even with utmost care ;)

Cheers to all,
Andrew

Thias":h8krqpvl said:
I did look at my seatpost. Seems the frame is not the same after all. I have 30.2mm, so that does not help.

But if you have a coke can, those have 0.1mm wall width. Cut out a rectangular piece, wrap it around your existing post. There should be no overlap! If it fits, you have the proof, that 26.4 is the right size.

Dear Matthias,

Thanky you also for your help, I hope I can renovate my old wreck anytime soon as these rides deserve more recognization in the retro scene!

:D
Andrew

Back