Scooter problems

I think all first steps are prone to stumbles, but they are steps of sorts in the right direction at least. Though it does feel a bit like the Segway, and the Sinclair C5 ideas from way back.

I think more stringent legislation needs to be put in place quickly to sort things out, as someone with bad nerves it is terrifying being buzzed past at 15mph by a silent scooter on a non cyclepath.

I was involved in an incident involving a young girl riding her dad's scooter on a pavement near Harlow Town Station about three years ago. I was towpath commuting home from North London, had had enough, and was heading to the station to catch a train for the rest of the way. I'd encountered her dad on the towpath on several occasions previously. As I emerged on to the pavement from behind a wall, pushing my bike, there was a scream and I looked up to see a child going over the bars of this rapidly approaching scooter.

As she fell her mouth and nose connected with my left hand, which was wrapped around my handlebar. A guy, self-identifying as her father, came running up very apologetic, more concerned for my welfare than his daughter's. She was now missing a front tooth, wearing a split lip and a bloody nose. Clearly worried about the situation he was desperate for me to leave and didn't really show much concern for the child. Being first-aid qualified I was concerned that she'd be concussed or worse, and refused to go until he called an ambulance and I could be sure that, for the time being at least, she was OK.

This is an increasing problem with unregulated scooter riders. It's an acceptably cheap form of transport but with no training required and no regulations related to PPE casualties are increasing rapidly as user numbers grow. The risk of being apprehended and prosecuted is almost insignificant when weighed against the benefits provided by using one.

I have vast experience of many different forms of two wheelers - powered and unpowered - having worked in the motorcycle industry since the mid-90's. I have been involved in research conducted by TRL, and by industry focus groups, as well as Sustrans partners to look at two wheel usage on a variety of fronts including E-scooters. Of all the two wheelers I've ridden the most unstable are the small wheeled electric scooters, and they are the least monitored in terms of user engagement and virtually no training in their use offered.

Special interest pressure groups have acted to lobby against E-scooters, as it seems likely they will be legalised to some degree, which is part of the reason for delays in legislation, along with other issues that have waylaid the beleaguered government, and DFT in particular, as it stumbles from one crisis into another. So for the time being at least E-scooter usage is off the agenda.

Last edited:
I don't think legislation will solve much, even introducing licenses, same as shown in other forms of transport.

I don't think it will either. People are People. If they want to behave irresponsibly they will, irrespective of any legislation.

I'm all for liberalising the rules re- city road use..

Over the last few years the pedestrianisation of Sheff city center has been expanded massively, roads now have bollards so cars cant enter large parts of the city, it's the same story at Kelham Island, the cafe's, bars and restaurants are putting their tables and chairs out in the roads keeping the pavements clear for pedestrians, pushchairs, wheelchair users, dog walkers, and the occasional spicehead, it's a much more pleasant environment, slurping your boba milk tea without the background taste of exhaust fumes, retail is on it's kness thanks to the internet so we might as well have a car free cafe culture with green spaces but it's also a large city and folks still need to get from point a to point b, making deliveries, going to work and such and as far as i'm concerned any mode of transport other than the car seems like a viable option.

Already being used by Country Lines gangs

We'll be screwed when the county lines gangs cotton on 😁

Oh come on, It's no reason to ban things.. i'm sure county lines gangs use mobile phones too

Back