Schwinn Straight 6 -97

Re: Re:

beepbeep":q77on1ws said:
Beautiful! Looks great in the snow too.
Good choice of components, the XTR chainset really sets it off, is it a catalogue build?

Actually I don’t even know what’s the catalog spec on a -97 model. Maybe they sold these only as framesets during the first year? I’ve only seen -98 models which have Boxxer Pro, XTR chainset (with 5 bolt spider), Hayes brakes, Titec post, Kore stem and Mavic 521’s on Ringle hubs.

I just tried to put together a spec that fits nicely together and is mostly from the same era.

Yesterday I finally got it finished. Had a small struggle with my Hope C2 front caliber as it wouldn't fit between the IS mount and the disc on the hub, must be some special caliber for some specific fork. Only thing is that it didn't have any numbers or markings so couldn't know this before I tried to fit it. Anyways I had a spare silver C2's in the parts bin so used the front one from there.

My friend from Germany also sent me those cool fork protectors couple of weeks ago so decided to put them on as they were a perfect fit for the DHO stanchions. They are Insane Wayne products, which are somehow connected to old DH star from US, Wayne Croasdale, and I heard he used to give these out to some friends back in the day. Anyways here she is, it looks really stunning when seeing it live in the sunshine, the bassboat blue paint really jumps on you!

p5pb20532339.jpg
p5pb20532342.jpg
p5pb20532343.jpg
p5pb20532345.jpg
p5pb20532347.jpg
p5pb20532349.jpg
p5pb20532350.jpg
p5pb20532352.jpg
p5pb20532353.jpg
p5pb20532354.jpg
p5pb20532356.jpg
p5pb20532358.jpg
p5pb20532360.jpg

Beautiful bike, and a great build. Glad you kept the original paint too, one of the things that make these frames great, they used to have their Homegrown bikes painted by Rainbow Cycle Craft, same as my Dean :cool:

P1011589.JPG

Could look at this for hours. It really is stunning.
Would be really great to find a nice way to restore that headtube - either way, it is lovely as it is. In love with the build. The photography ain't bad either 😉

Thanks guys! That’s cool info on the painting company, they sure did awesome job with these bassboats. Especially the iconic red and gold one is so nice, there haven’t been too many similar paintjobs since.

Actually like onza100 above stated that the red/gold ones are really hard to find, but just a couple of days ago there was one whole bike for sale in Germany for 450€! It was unfortunately collection only so it went to a local Yeti collector there.

I think I’m gonna delay the repair for now. I’m really itching to go and finally test my first Lawwill properly, so probably going to put some tightening collar around the headtube crack and throw it around the trails when they dry up here in the North! 😎

Great build - we don't see enough full dh bikes on here, especially those from the latter part of the decade :cool:

Regarding the repro chain guides, was it for the upper or lower part? Any chance you have or could take a picture of the upper part look straight at it from the front (down the chain line)? I'd like to see how far it projects away from the seat tube, as it could suit one of my current builds.

Do you have contact details for the guy making them still?

Back