Schrader or Presta ?

davew":27118g7l said:
I use Schwalbe tubes that have a threaded valve and locking nut so the valve can be "locked" to the rim.

There are 2 schools of thought on using lockrings on tubes. Tires can slip under braking and (not so much) acceleration forces, especially offroad and/or under low pressure. Without the lockring the valve will (usually) slip into the rim when this happens. No biggie. Just pop the tire off and re-seat everything.. With the lockring on, if the tire slips, the valve gets ripped off at the base. I'll live with the former, and toss the lockrings in the trash bin when I pull a new tube from the box.

The effect is so common on speedway bikes they often would put the valve through the right sidewall of the tire at a 90 deg. angle and when (not if) the tire slips it doesn't affect anything, other than acceleration.

Look close. No valve stem in the rear rim.

1970_Jawa_Speedway_Racer.jpg

Yes, tyres may slip on the rim, but well, maybe it is personal to me, but when I fit tubes there is a lot of chalk dust that goes in there too, but I have had slipping tyres on wheels where the tyre can be yanked off easily by fingers and not using tyre levers. With Schraeder valves when this happens the alloy rim cuts into the valve outer and I have had air leakage through the valve stem, quite possibly caused by the trauma the area receives when that alloy rim rips into the rubber.

But I notice with MX bikes where fitted with tubes, there are clamps that clamp the tyre bead to the rim to stop tyre slippage at low pressures. I did consider fitting them to my QuingQi when I was into that thing, but didn't, so it is now decaying in the shed perhaps half a day off being completed. A no licence, no interest kind of thing.

I guess it likely tyre slippage occurs most when running low pressure as high pressure tends to make things grip a bit tighter.

Also presta being a metal valve outer might stand more chance against alloy than rubber if the tube does slip.

I bought a bike with presta tubes, I wrapped self amalgamating tape round the valve and blew them up with an airline blowy thing.
Given the choice I would go with Schrader.

Schrader!!! They are much tougher and easier to use. You can get them with metal outers and threaded lockrings etc. just like a presta. I've never broken a rim at the valve hole and the whole Prestas can take higher pressures thing is nonsense. Either valve design can be manufactured to cope with pressures that are orders of magnitude higher than will be required on an inner tube. The manufacturer of the tube will fit a valve suitable rated for the amount of pressure they think the tube will see be it Presta or Schrader. The only reason for using Presta in my opinion is on narrow deep v section rims where the larger diameter valve hole will cut deeper into the rim.

Schrader's one can replace the valve if necessary and even carry spare valves as they are not exactly heavy. Anyway, useful if one need to to take the valve out and pour egg white into the tube.

I believe some Presta's come with removable cores, but as to whether separate Presta valves are available, I don't know.

Back