SBike 506

mk one":1d3whh8c said:
:cool:

Missed the end of this thread. Have to agree about the shade of the saddle. I think a grey would work instead of the blue also. Maybe with grey grips too.

Shame mayhem isnt on this year, would be good to see this in the flesh, out in the sun.

The idea was to go all out on the Gulf Racing theme, with no account made for tastefulness :shock:

yakboy":rc2fpvpu said:
The idea was to go all out on the Gulf Racing theme, with no account made for tastefulness :shock:

well you smashed that one out of the park :LOL:

Re: Re:

yakboy":1zmjjv3h said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thanks there Spud :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In light of THM's experience of late I should not joke about break-in's and have nightmares about such a thing happening to me.....BUT

If I burgled your place and had to leave one behind.. it would be this one :LOL:

I'd also have to have a go under that fancy power shower you have in your back garden I spied in one of your pics a while ago - I've never seen an Al Fresco shower before (must be quite liberating)

Re:

You are welcome under the shower anytime :shock: As I said before the original idea was to take a very unloved (not too important frame) and go with an extreme theme and see it out until the end, which I think I have achieved ;) with obviously very Marmite results :roll:

I’ve used an alfresco shower in California and Ibiza but never in Yorkshire!

Re:

Well we had a few dry days a few weeks ago so I thought it was about time I did a proper shakedown ride of the SBike. The split needed a bit of a shakedown run before some summer camping so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

50267407617_cb3ace6317_c.jpg

The ride didn't go quite to plan! The SBike was performing well, a few things needed fettling, the side bolts on the Flexstem kept coming loose, it was obvious I needed to lose a few links from the chain and the saddle clamp kept moving but other than that it rides really well for a rigid, the Flexstem is surprisingly efficient and for someone with crap wrists I was pleased with the comfort. I have changed the NOS Grey ZMax's for some Nos but less rare Kenda Butterscotch's. Anyway was feeling a bit smug and enjoying the "eye's on stalks " ride you have when you have no suspension when this happened...

50266566603_4978f81b04_c.jpg

Fresh out of the box NOS Axo shoes....the Italians hadn't used that much glue BITD and it had obviously dried out over the last 25 or so years, combined with the force of the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters :roll: 🤦

50267227536_8bd34e5ea3_c.jpg

I was only 3km into the ride but an interesting ride back balancing on the Eggbeaters.

Took the shoes to my local cobblers and loads of glue later

50266566478_d9674ae79a_c.jpg

Hopefully it will be enough to ride them again but I think and a clipless pedal with a little more platform.

Took the bike out again last week but using my modern Mavic enduro shoes this time, still some niggles to address but amazed at how powerful the canti's are. More loctite needed of the Flexstem bolts and have had to sharpen the teeth on the seatpost grip washer as the saddle was still slipping but as ever with all Retro riding we may be slower than on our modern rigs but the smile is twice as big!

Last edited:
Cobblers.... :D

Back