Saracen Kili....help/thoughts re frame repair...

Re:

Those were the nicest Saracens and the forks look great on them. It’s a lot of money (proportionally) to fix something that’s probably just rust/bubbling. That said, some people do get their cheque books out for that perfect ride of their youth!

Re:

I have one of these in my collection and along with another Kili Comp.
The green one, like yours, is made from Tange Prestige Concept tubing whereas the other one is made from Reynolds 853.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=311729

The latter of these is currently stripped of its original powder coat.

As such I can confidently confirm that the cast wishbone section is brazed into the seatstays and not welded.

Sometimes the join isn't very clean and seamless which can manifest itself as looking worse than it is, especially if a little corrosion has developed under the coating.

If however there is a crack in the brazing, then it shouldn't be a difficult job for a decent frame-builder to repair it.

That said, if the casting has cracked at the tube joint which was a fault which has been documented on these frames then there isn't much that can be done.

Strip it back and keep your fingers crossed.

So.... good news!

I’ve managed to investigate the crack in the paint and it’s just a bit of ingress that has lifted paint.... thank the lord!

Anyway, I’m now thinking that I can simply dremmel it back, rust treatment and touch up. I’d still go full new PC but maybe I’m best off preserving the original paint which bar this blemish is pretty much spotless....

My mate is a pro motorcycle sprayer so could even get him to touch it in...

What’s peoples thoughts? Preserve and touch in or still PC it?

Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 49F80E15-F0BF-4579-BDF0-2E0D100EC4DD.jpeg
    49F80E15-F0BF-4579-BDF0-2E0D100EC4DD.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 323
Maybe I can find a decent nail varnish to match it as they tend to harden nicely....
I often get funny looks trawling in the nail varnish section of Supermarkets though! :LOL:

prezza":3bxgojqo said:
Maybe I can find a decent nail varnish to match it as they tend to harden nicely....
I often get funny looks trawling in the nail varnish section of Supermarkets though! :LOL:
Boots have a better selection.............

Attachments

• 43EACBDA-DD33-498C-B5D4-7FE50ED9F546.jpeg
    43EACBDA-DD33-498C-B5D4-7FE50ED9F546.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 297
So… I can confidently confirm after a strip down, light filing of the minor corrosion that this appears to be surface corrosion at the brazing. A bit of a ridge/groove at the brazing I thing has caused this over time… no flexing whatsoever and no light from a torch penetrating the area.
So I’ll remove the surface corrosion, touch it in and rebuild the bike to my usual minty high ‘eat your dinner off it’ standard 👍😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 17
Back