Santa Cruz Heckler -98

Dami

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello,

This time I got to work on a project that was my friend's old DH competition frame from the late 90's. I always loved the early Santa Cruz frames back then, but just couldn't afford them at all. This project also gave me some responsibility as my friend had a huge nostalgic connection to it, but due to some circumstances could not keep it and kind of hoped that I'd give it a good home and maybe restore it at some point.

The beaten up frame came out nice with some lacquer sanding and polishing and fresh set of decals that were custom made based on the originals. At the same time I polished some old golden Race Face Turbine cranks and had the decals made for them also. The handlebar was a black parts bin Azonic which got the polishing treatment along with the cranks.

Partswise I used a lot of my parts bin and sourced a few important pieces separately, like the Marzocchi Z1 BAM fork with the blue decals that fit perfectly with the frame (and an earlier Z1 model was also used by my friend on the frame in its competition era). Mavic 221's on XT hubs, XTR 950 derailleur, Azonic shorty stem, LX brakes with SRAM ESP 9.0 carbon levers, Flite saddle, Club Roost "shinkiller" pedals and NOS Maxxis 2.1" skinwalls.

p5pb19446218.jpg

p5pb19446219.jpg

p5pb19446223.jpg

p5pb19446220.jpg

p5pb19446222.jpg

p5pb19446221.jpg

Re:

That looks great, really like the polished back end and how the frame and forks match, I have a yellow 97 which I have owned from new and a red 98 that I’m not sure what to do with yet. Out of interest what size if your seatpost?

Thanks! Mine has a 26.8mm post. These seem to be really bombproof frames, you're lucky to have two of them!

Yeah great simple design and as you said bomb proof. Both mine are 26.8 as well. According to the sc archive they changed to 27.2 and added rear disc mount some time mid 98.

Just be careful they have a tendency to multiply :D

Coincidentally it started to happen around the same time I found Retrobike :facepalm:

Reactions: al
Very nice indeed.

I don't think it's just Hecklers that multiply - Chameleons seem to do the same around these parts!

Bullpup":16lx8421 said:
Very nice indeed.

I don't think it's just Hecklers that multiply - Chameleons seem to do the same around these parts!

Lol, until recently I had 2 orange chameleons. Admittedly they where different sizes

Re:

They do multiply. Beautiful build!

My attached photo is from like 7 years ago, my first 2 Cruzs. Since then I have had over 25.

Attachments

• p5pb10502318.jpg
    p5pb10502318.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 1,082
Love this Dami! What a terrific build and has really wetted my appetite for old school risers! Were those Azonics bars the 2 or 2.5" versions? Loving all the chrome contrast, colour matched cap and the nod of the laybay post. It's a beast!

I studied in Otaniemi a few moons ago as an architecture student - greetings to Suomi!

Re:

My Chameleon. I remember lusting after them in magazines when I was a teenager. Actually ended buying this frame with a few other bits (in a much worse state) for £20

Capture.jpg

Back