Santa Cruz Blur X4

dadoc2001

Retro Newbie
Like many during lockdowns I got myself back out on my bike and had forgotten how much fun it was. I had a '11 Cube Ltd Pro hard tail that was almost stock but after a few rides I was always wanting more! Came across a cheap Giant Anthem frame I intended to start from and, while I didn't build it up, I shocked myself selling it for a decent profit and became hooked. My plan was to source parts/bikes locally, fix them up and sell (keeping any parts that would upgrade my cube) while learning how to maintain/repair bikes. It's been a lot of fun.

After a while I decided my target was a Santa Cruz Chameleon. Annoyingly I sourced a cracker over a year ago for a friend who was desperately trying to throw money at Halfords, but he saw sense and bought it. I should've bought it but I wouldn't be where I am now 😂.

Long story short I've bought/repaired/split down/flipped several parts until I had a Cube with everything upgraded on it other than the frame. That's until I came across a Cove Stiffee and had to have it. Ever since that purchase and build the Cube didn't get a look in as I enjoyed the Cove so much. But I still hankered for a Cruz!
In June I came across a Blur for sale locally. Pictures and info were poor but it was worth a look. On viewing it was dusty and unloved but had a couple of decent components that could be salvaged/flipped and a garage with parts and a cube that could be put back to stock/used as a donor I have built this up.
The only parts I've bought for this bike are the Race Face Chainring, Saint BB (fitted last night), Shimano finned pads and I have a set of Saint pedals on their way! Heavier than I'm used to and a harder climb but so much more fun on the way down! Bike will do far more than I'm ever capable of 😂
Santa Cruz Blur X4 Med.
Rockshox Monarch RT3 140mm
RS Pike U-turn 140mm
Chris King Headset, Hope Stem, Renthal Fatbar lite bars.
1x9 11-34 SRAM PG990 cassette, SRAM X-7 shifter, SLX cranks, Raceface chainring, Saint BB, and SRAM X-9 derailleur.
SLX Brakeset
Mavic XM819 rims on Hope Pro2 Hubs

Anyone else got an X4? Been keeping an eye out on sales sites but I've only seen 1 in 3 months!

Attachments

• 20210811_210929.jpg
    20210811_210929.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210830_194212.jpg
    20210830_194212.jpg
    561.9 KB · Views: 62
Had one not so long back, great bike. My brother has it now and still loves it.

Great bike,way ahead of its time,a slack head and low bottom bracket ( which was its achiles heel)made it super stable,good on the ups also..Keep an eye on the linkage bearings,they come loose,and if not greased periodically the inner race of the bearings attach themselves to the linkage axles

Back