Salsa Merlin Ti bars... What do we know?

There was a Salsa titanium bike made by Merlin. Yes.. it´s rare: i have seen one only.

Yeah, I think Ross listed these as some of the handful of bikes that were ever made outside of his own shop but still under the Salsa name. If my memory is correct Merlin made something like 5 frames as prototypes, and I think all went to Salsa employees originally?

Would love to see one.

Yeah, read that already Nick. Thanks!

Rather feeling like there's no chance mine are in fact the Salsa ones, just on the date of purchase alone (1988/90, I believe. As ordered with bike.)

So now the mystery is: What are they?

Ti bars from 1989/90, with lots of sweep... who else was making them?

Anyway, was rather hoping when the alert popped up to say you'd chimed in here, it was to say you had one of the Salsa/Merlin ones in that storage facility of yours, and that I could happily have it for the price of a six-pack next month!

Oh well.

Well, actually...

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 11.59.33 AM.png

Hmmm. 1988. So that would be bang-on date-wise.

Those Ti Sushi bars don't look too dissimilar in sweep to mine...

ti-bars-1.jpg
ti-bars-2.jpg

I should have taken more photos (these are from the original owner) before I sent them off to Dan for extension work!

The frame came with some Cooks, too, as well as a ti spindle. Although a slightly later version (RSR's, which I think came out in '90?)

Exciting/interesting, all the same..

Last edited:
Yeah, read that already Nick. Thanks!

Rather feeling like there's no chance mine are in fact the Salsa ones, just on the date of purchase alone (1988/90, I believe. As ordered with bike.)

So now the mystery is: What are they?

Ti bars from 1989/90, with lots of sweep... who else was making them?

Anyway, was rather hoping when the alert popped up to say you'd chimed in here, it was to say you had one of the Salsa/Merlin ones in that storage facility of yours, and that I could happily have it for the price of a six-pack next month!

Oh well.

👍

Funnily enough, bring the bars with you when you visit and we can compare them with a genuine Salsa/Merlin ti bar and others. Bring the popcorn.

Back