S & G Cycles Muddy Fox MB-MF 26 B

Think I’ve got it sorted - I think there was a thread damaged on the cup, I thought I had tightened it fully but was not. Removed it, degreased and ran the lock ring back and forth on the full width and it cleared a damaged part of thread. Managed to get the lock ring cinched down tight now. Not sure if a pin spanner is the correct tool for the cup but neither the Suntour nor Sugino bottom bracket wrenches I’ve got would fit the cup part.

A9680281-A532-4702-9E74-8A69B465D11C.jpeg FFFCA669-E1BA-456E-9137-946FEEACF3FF.jpeg

And as an added bonus - I had previously lost one of the original Sugino dust caps somewhere and had replaced them with nasty shiny Cyclo ones (now on a different set of cranks in the photo) 4D0623DE-4C6C-4275-8B6F-969C6026827E.jpeg

Not as shiny and original to the bike much happier - those of us who like dust caps correct and have been missing odd ones will know how satisfying this is to put right especially when the missing one turns up unexpected!

839E7826-AD50-4827-BE33-AFB91B0C6AC8.jpeg

Think I’ve got it sorted - I think there was a thread damaged on the cup, I thought I had tightened it fully but was not. Removed it, degreased and ran the lock ring back and forth on the full width and it cleared a damaged part of thread. Managed to get the lock ring cinched down tight now. Not sure if a pin spanner is the correct tool for the cup but neither the Suntour nor Sugino bottom bracket wrenches I’ve got would fit the cup part.

View attachment 571050View attachment 571051
That’s a lovely MF in great condition for its age. Not that you asked but I found this incredibly comprehensive guide to Asian bike serial numbers when I was trying to date my two early S&G / Muddy Fox bikes. The earlier of the two I have is also an S&G Cycles MB~MF 26B but in silver with black decals.

It would seem to suggest you have a frame from June 1984? Although I had always assumed pre-Muddy Fox S&G brand bikes were from 1983 too. I also have a Muddy Fox Seeker from the year after our S&G models which I had assumed was a 1984 bike but the serial number suggestions it’s a 1985 bike.

0C25C32F-C490-48EB-BD3D-F74F62AB3BDA.jpeg
S&G has serial number stamped on the seat tube, the Muddy Fox serial number is stamped on BB shell.

Lovely! Look forward to seeing them built up if you post pics.....glad you're keeping to original paint on the seeker, a bit of patina is a good thing 😎

That’s a lovely MF in great condition for its age. Not that you asked but I found this incredibly comprehensive guide to Asian bike serial numbers when I was trying to date my two early S&G / Muddy Fox bikes. The earlier of the two I have is also an S&G Cycles MB~MF 26B but in silver with black decals.

It would seem to suggest you have a frame from June 1984? Although I had always assumed pre-Muddy Fox S&G brand bikes were from 1983 too. I also have a Muddy Fox Seeker from the year after our S&G models which I had assumed was a 1984 bike but the serial number suggestions it’s a 1985 bike.

View attachment 728231
S&G has serial number stamped on the seat tube, the Muddy Fox serial number is stamped on BB shell.
Thanks!

That frame/forks I will be selling……..looks like it might be your size! Will be frame/forks/bars/stem and whatever else I have left over.

Most of the parts from that bike went in to this one, greenwall tyres soon to be swapped back to tan wall. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/s-g-araya-muddy-fox-mb-mf-26-a.453364/

Back