RST's rare foray into higher-end forks (1999)

Au contraire, this crown is fully bolted, but it's all round the back where you can't see it in the pic!

That's why I'm selling it with a choice of two different steerers.

Just reading your description and noticed it doesn't have a disc tab, I have two Mozo Pros that have disc tabs :? Funny how the older forks have them and a canti stop on the brace, so a choice of 3!
They must have removed them to save a little weight on yours as not many disc bikes around then, or it may have been an option. Crud is right about bolt on brace for the Mozos though.

Anyway, the crown looks exactly the same, and might be useful for me ;)

Hmm, that is indeed curious about the disc tab. The Zeta TL was definitely marketed as the "improved" successor to the Mozo Pro, so maybe as you say it's intended to be lighter. Even dream bikes in those days used XTR V-brakes (I thought discs were a gimmick - imagine!).

The 2000 model Zeta TL (the year after mine) did have a disc tab though.

Crud is indeed right about the Zeta's cast magnesium one-piece lowers and brace v the bolted on the Mozo. I think the one-piece is an obvious improvement though - after all, how many times do you ever need to replace a brace? And all the best forks nowadays have the one-piece.

I always thought that the XMO forks were the top ones: CNCed alloy and Englund carts - an RST fork that worked (by using other peoples technology)

I've never heard of those XMOs - they must be mega-rare.

I don't know if the Zeta TL was "top of the range" in 99, but it was certainly unusually high-end for RST at the time. It was compared very favourably to the Rock Shox Judys of the day.

pete_mcc":35fq4na4 said:
I always thought that the XMO forks were the top ones: CNCed alloy and Englund carts - an RST fork that worked (by using other peoples technology)

I seem to remember there was an 'American made' version of the RST forks. They were silver/aluminium in colour.

I had the yellow Mozo Pro's. Bought them with a Hope disc set-up with my first months wage from a part time job :)

I've got some xmo's, they are very light. Lighter than my Sids and plush but flexy. Shame the disc tabs cracked!

I have to agree with the general sentiment that in their day RST made some very decent forks. I bought a set of Mozo Pro 3.5's in 1997 and they saw active service until 2005. Very easy to service and maintain with good tracking and basic but relatively proficient damping.
After a few years in retirement I've now got the same set back in occasional active use on my girlfriends bike, plus another set I bought for a fiver for spares a while ago.

Back