RST's rare foray into higher-end forks (1999)

red_dread

Dirt Disciple
Check this out - I'm selling it on eBay more as an experiment than anything else because I'm interested - does anyone think it's worth more than 99p?

In 1999, desperately uncool fork brand RST departed from the bottom-end and went after the slightly higher end of the market with the magnesium and alu Zeta TL. I was curious.

Mates told me I was mental paying nearly £300 for such an unfashionable name as RST, and sure enough within a year I gave into my lust for Pace. But this is a pretty decent fork, isn't it? Time (and bidding) will tell.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0379185263

Attachments

• RST lo.jpg
    RST lo.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2,990
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Basically this is the same internals as the Hi-5. I had the version of the Hi-5 made for Girvin/Noleen.

The internals are greased up, and there is a shim stack that controls the air damping action. With a regular greasing my forks were really great. A regreasing would take about 20 minutes every 4 months.

Mountain Speed Springs made a coil spring kit that really brought the fork to life. I would still have them if I had not sold the fork with a bike.

the problem you might find is that people associate rst with lower end forks for the most part so won't recognise these as good even if they are...

orange71":pu8r95f1 said:
the problem you might find is that people associate rst with lower end forks for the most part so won't recognise these as good even if they are...

Indeed.

I remember buying a set of RST's back in the late 90's and paid over £300 for them :roll:

Pickle":1399i3yf said:
orange71":1399i3yf said:

Indeed.

I remember buying a set of RST's back in the late 90's and paid over £300 for them :roll:

And this was your 10,000th post! What a fan fare event :LOL:

The first Mozo Pros were decent forks, comparable to the RS and Mani's of the time. Just lacked the Kudos which I reckon seen them going to the budget side of things.

I have a group test of suspension forks (MBUK) and the Mozo Pros came up top, pretty sure it was a mid range test though. The Mozo pro fitted with a speed spring is a plush fork, but a little flexy.

mozo pros where much better than the judy dh of the time

and wasnt the xxl a pretty expensive fork?

This is the successor to the Mozo Pro - without looking at the specs I don't know how they're an improvement, but they're meant to be even better.

This is a great fork, but in 1999 I gave in and got a Pace RC36 instead because I was surrounded by snobs who kept telling me I shouldn't have an RST fork on an S-Works frame.

Bidding update: someone has now put in 99p! Could be a mega-bargain.

well from your pic I see a one piece legs and bridge, and press fit crown? these were all bolt on the mozo pro

Back