Ronezwun's 1991 Scandinavian Miyata Valley Runner Carbon, (Century, Terra Runner Carbolite)

ronezwun

BoTM Winner
Hi guys first post here.

Picked up My Miyata Valley Runner Carbon off ebay with original fork, headset and seat binder. Frame was essentially NOS but had some storage marks. Unusual Valley Runner naming from Scaninavian market, serial number 03. Frame design is the similar as the 1990 Century anniversary (including gold leaf decals) and 1991 Carbo-lite models and Team, as well as some Kogas im sure, however this has a brazed steel rear end and mounts for racks on frame and fork. Geometry seems similar to the Carbo-lite. Replaced and built up with many changes with mainly NOS or nice condition parts. settling on final build here. Unfortunately missed a lot of the build in pictures but have attached pic of original fork, headset, control tech stem, moots flat bar and compass skin wall rat trap pass touring tires.

Looking for Mavic 216 CD ceramic rims, Silver/black spider Cook Cranks, and Altek V-brakes (black or silver), 26.8 early syncros seatpost - if anyone out there has any to complete the build!

1990 Valley Runner Carbon, 100th anniversary edition, Scandinavian market. Serial # UB00003
Fork: Syncros Powerlite 1 1/8t" Threaded (uncut)

Headset: Mavic 316 Black
Stem: Syncros 1 1/8th Threaded 110mm
Handlebar: Black Sheep Titanium Riser w Moots Clamp
Grips: Onza Ulés Clear

Brakes: Pauls Motolite V-Brakes
Brake Levers: Pauls Love Levers Linear

Shifters: SL-M732 XT 7 speed thumb shifters (run at 8 speed)
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900 with Speed Metal Bolt
Cranks: M900 with Black Shimano XT SG-X rings
Chain - M900
Cassette - M950
Crank Bolts – Titanium Self Extracting
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Double Wide titanium 107mm
Pedals: MKS XC-3

Hub Skewers: Gonzo Titanium Security Skewers
Rims: Mavic M216 32 Hole
Spokes: DT competition, DT alloy nipples
Hubs: M900 32H with titanium axles and Cassette Body
Tires: Panaracer Smoke Dart re-issue

Saddle: Vetta SL MTB titanium
Seatpost: Shimano XTR M900

Extras: Alloy and titanium tuning bolts everywhere. Clear edition Cateye Wireless 2 computer

Weight: 25 lbs exactly

Attachments

• IMG_1877.png
    IMG_1877.png
    958 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1874.png
    IMG_1874.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1868.png
    IMG_1868.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1863.png
    IMG_1863.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1869.png
    IMG_1869.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1870.png
    IMG_1870.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1871.png
    IMG_1871.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0230.png
    IMG_0230.png
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1888.png
    IMG_1888.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1886_.png
    IMG_1886_.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Welcome aboard @ronezwun :)

could you take a look at the botm guidance (link in the first post on the thread) and edit your post accordingly

@ronezwun apologies, I’m an idiot! I looked at the botm notification email I received but hit the link to your build thread instead!

Are you sure it is from 1990? Toptube routing and chain suck teeth etc are typical for 1991. Frame is similar to my 1991 KM TerraRunner-Carbolite.

Lovely frame and nice build. If the bars and brakes were my sort of thing I would have voted for it in BOTM.

Are you sure it is from 1990? Toptube routing and chain suck teeth etc are typical for 1991. Frame is similar to my 1991 KM TerraRunner-Carbolite.
After looking around on some other forums, it looks like you are correct! 1991 as it has the 1 1/8" headtube and 73mm bb with similar construction to the 1991 terra runner carbolite, and the Team frame of the 1991 range (top of seat stays, bottom bracket chainstay junction) but with the brazed steel rear end. Also didnt look closely at the serial number... its actually #03... Updated and edited my original post

Lovely frame and nice build. If the bars and brakes were my sort of thing I would have voted for it in BOTM.
This old back needs those risers! the large headtube and comfort of the frame was another reason for this bike specifically for me... and It gets ridden so i need brakes that work... lets be honest cantilevers from a functional standpoint not so great. Its more of a 1991 > 1996 restomod to keep it it working mechanically perfectly. who knows it may go totally period correct at some point... :)

I absolutely agree that what works best for you for riding it is most important, I didn't mean it as a criticism. I do disagree about cantilevers though - maybe a little more hassle to set up (although possibly not if you're not used to Vs) but well set up cantilevers work brilliantly in my opinion.

Back