Rod Greaves Whitby

Nob":3dkcmx27 said:
Jonny69":3dkcmx27 said:
The maroon one is lovely. Is it possible that the rear-facing dropouts are there to facilitate getting the wheel in and out? With short stays, the tyre might not clear the bottom bracket with vertical or front-facing dropouts.
Yep as the wheel fits through the split seat tube :)

It was the design of them I've not seen before, not the concept. With a very short wheelbase it can be the only way to fit and remove wheels. I've had conventional dropouts on some frames where the only way to do this was by deflating the tyre so it would go in and past the BB.

Old Ned":2z4fdnoq said:
Nob":2z4fdnoq said:
Jonny69":2z4fdnoq said:
The maroon one is lovely. Is it possible that the rear-facing dropouts are there to facilitate getting the wheel in and out? With short stays, the tyre might not clear the bottom bracket with vertical or front-facing dropouts.
Yep as the wheel fits through the split seat tube :)

It was the design of them I've not seen before, not the concept. With a very short wheelbase it can be the only way to fit and remove wheels. I've had conventional dropouts on some frames where the only way to do this was by deflating the tyre so it would go in and past the BB.

Here’s me on my Besopke which had track ends

From making contact with Whitby Whs via their website I am very sorry to have to inform you all that Rod Greaves sadly passed away the week before last. I've refrained from posting the news here to allow the information to filter out from the family and close friends. The family are aware of this thread and hopefully, in due course, may be willing and able to shed some light on his frame building activities.

RIP Rod.

Hi, I can maybe give you a little more background info on Rod Greaves frames.
I heard a few weeks ago that Rod passed away. Really sad news.
I was a member of Whitby Wheelers in the early 80's. Cliff Greaves (Rod's father) forned the club a few years before my family joined. The Greaves family owned Blenkeys toy and cycle shop in Whitby, and Rod's two younger brothers Chris and Jonnie were pretty decent riders. Rod primarily built frames for Chris and Jonnie to race on. Rod wasn't a cyclist himself. Chris and Jonnie would come up with innovative ideas and Rod built them up in the workshop at the bike shop.
He didn't really advertise himself as a frame builder, but would build them occasionally to order.
He built one for my mum to race on and a still have it now. It's a great frame, beautifully made and super light.
So sad he is no longer with us.

I was a member of Whitby Wheelers in the early 80's. Cliff Greaves (Rod's father) forned the club a few years before my family joined. The Greaves family owned Blenkeys toy and cycle shop in Whitby, and Rod's two younger brothers Chris and Jonnie were pretty decent riders. Rod primarily built frames for Chris and Jonnie to race on. Rod wasn't a cyclist himself. Chris and Jonnie would come up with innovative ideas and Rod built them up in the workshop at the bike shop.
He didn't really advertise himself as a frame builder, but would build them occasionally to order.
He built one for my mum to race on and a still have it now. It's a great frame, beautifully made and super light.
Thank you Jen, that's great information. It'll certainly add to the info I have and can pass on to the current 'custodian' of the frames. I wonder if Chris and Jonnie would have any idea who these 2 frames were built for and when?

Any photographs of the one built for your Mum?

I bought my first ever Road bike from Blenkeys in Whitby, it was a Viking Warlord, purchased sometime around 1980ish. It was all toys downstairs, and bikes, scaletrix and trains upstairs IIRC.

Back