Rockshox pike service and tools help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm going to rebuild and service a set of 27.5 RC damper 35 mm pike's. I think they are 2017/18 vintage. I've been through the service manual and it seems simple enough to do myself, I've done many other rs and fox forks so have a good basic knowledge to build on.

As this is a newer fork with a bladder, it needs a bleed kit. Are any other tools compatible to do this with i.e. reverb bleed kit or anything else I may already have? Would prefer not to spend on tools if I have something already unknowingly.

Manual states things like use Maxima plush oil, what it that weight wise and can I use alternatives I might have?

The guide also states for the bladder bleed to half fill the rs syringe and perform the bleed steps. Assume I can just ensure I have oil of the correct weight in a syringe and just make sure it doesn't let air in when bleeding.

The service process seems pretty wasteful as seal heads are supposed to be discarded/replaced. Is this necessary?

I'm sure there are other things I don't know or tips those versed with these forks can educate me with.

Thanks

Pretty sure you use the reverb syringe and fitting to bleed the damper. Just don’t use one that’s previously been used for brake fluid.

Maxima plush is just the supposedly fancy branded oil they use now. Anything with the same weight will be fine. Damper wise stick to the recommended weight. For the 10ml lube that goes in the bottom, I’ve been using Castrol car oil in a slightly different weight as I have loads and use very little. Think it’s 0W40 instead of 0W30. Done this for years.

Never replaced the seal head o-ring when home servicing but it does get done every few years when I send off for a full service. If you are going to the bother of a full strip and bladder service, surely makes sense to get a seal kit and do it while it’s all apart?

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm m going to do a full seal service, the manual says to discard and replace the seal heads themselves which seems overkill.

I've got loads of suspension fluid, I hope some in the correct weight.

Glad to know the reverb kit works as I have one of those. No idea the weight of that fluid though.

Back