1999 RockShox Deluxe servicing

Does this help at all? I was assuming that the black threaded part in the centre of this picture, which I think might be the seal head on page 63 of @synchronicity's link, was coming unscrewed. PXL_20230914_160259992-cropped.jpg

Some disassembly and inspection might go a long way toward finding your clunk.
I see some wear on the brake line there, to much suspension movement, allowing contact. Either you are hucking that rig, or you need to up your spring.
Looks oily too, so maybe you’ve got the leaky damper, and suspension bushing wear.
Post pics when you’ve got ‘er apart.

Getting the part out is easy. I haven't yet got my head around how I disassemble the unit though, with the spring preload. That's where I suspect special tools come in? I've looked for good videos, and will look again, but any pointers welcome.

No need for a spring compressor on bike shocks. Just unwind the preload collar and the spring will be loose. The spring retention collar is slotted and will come easily off the shock body, allowing the spring to slide off.

Clubby is correct.
Collar spins up/down to preload spring, spin it back, spring loosens.
When this happens, be prepared, bike gets slack.
Remove bolts either side of damper, voila, removed from bike.
( I like to use a piece of pvc pipe, drill holes holes in appx spots, and install in place of shock with just the bolts, otherwise it gets all noodley)
Clean everything up, measure length of shock sitting, and length compressed.
Take lots of pictures of shock.
We will go from there.
This is my DH Big Hit FSR went Fox shock puked it guts @ AngelFire. Pretty much same setup.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_151701131_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20200619_151701131_Original.jpeg
    678.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks again. We couldn't shift the collar when we tried, at the event where I was riding the bike. But I'll give it a serious go, now I'm back home with access to proper tools.

Clean those threads and work it back and forth.
By the looks of things, it may have been seeping oil a while through that seal. Maybe I am wrong. Is the damper still damping, or is the back end bouncing all over?

Back