rockshox judy restoration

Re:

I've rebuilt many a Judy, as mentioned it is pretty rare to find a rebuild kit that contains everything you need. Aside from allen keys to undo bolts and circlip too for damper removal,you need a hammer or rubber mallet. You need to break the taper of the damper shaft from the lower leg. Simply pop back in on of the lower leg bolts you have removed, screw it in enough that the threads will be strong enough to take a hit, pop your allen key back in and give it a firm tap. You should feel the damper move. If not, repeat until you do, then do the other side. You upper legs should now separate from the lower.

If you are pulling the damper apart for a service, the end seals have part numbers on so you should be able to find someone that sells them. I can't remember what is on the inside of a damper but I think just o-rings.

Wiper seals are often tricky to find,I think there are 2 types and one won't fit the older legs (older ones were black as standard iirc, later ones grey). I did get some nice blue ones from enduro seals once.

If your stanchions are not scored and there is no play between them and the bushings, give everything a good clean and dry. I lube the bushings and void below the wiper seal with Judy butter along with the damper shaft and dummy leg deforestation reditting,then pop it all back together.

If your bushings need replacing, no idea where you can get them I'm afraid aside from an ask on here and watching ebay.

Replace mcu stack with springs of you can, ones mcus. I was lucky enough to find some englund air conversion kits when I was rebuilding my fsx. White bros also did dampers as did risse.

Good luck with your rebuild.

I just got a 1” Judy SL. Uncut steer tube, yellow - not sure of the year. The elastomers seem fine - but I wanted to open it to take a look. The cartridge leg has an aluminum knob in the lower that doesn’t come off. How do I remove the lowers when one side doesn’t seem to have the pull away knob/allen bolt underneath setup?

Attachments

• F482DEE2-7343-47C1-979A-0D2500F91BFB.jpeg
    F482DEE2-7343-47C1-979A-0D2500F91BFB.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 7
The red bit?
Pull it out, or grab it with pliers(protect it if you want) or a thin blade to separate.

It's just an o-ring and friction that holds it in place.

The red bit?
Pull it out, or grab it with pliers(protect it if you want) or a thin blade to separate.

I am just trying to reassemble the cartridge side of my Judy SL’s. Can anyone help with the order - I didn’t take enough photos and now forgotten what went where - all diagrams seem slightly different to what I remove. Please see photo I took the clip washer off to clean inside the cartridge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 10
The red bit?

Thanks - it worked. The o ring was swollen - had to pry very hard with the screwdriver - and it flew out....

Last edited:
Is there a source for replacement stantion tubes for these? 28mm

I have a 96 Judy SL I want to rebuild. Luckily it has speed springs instead of elastomers

Thanks!

Back