Rob Warner rebuilds his 1996 World Cup winning Giant ATX 990

Depends how many people follow the pros?

You follow them as you are in "the scene".

This sort of video will only be seen by people looking for it. It may get stumbled upon but doubt it will have much impact.

I was in the OS BMX scene from about 2004, stopped riding at 16 (in 1984). It was amazing how many people would stop us when out riding (especially the big London ride outs) and it never impacted the hobby. There are still people coming back into the scene today. Granted prices for OS BMX stuff is ridiculous, but that has only really got stupid over the last couple of years. Now all BMX bikes from the 80s are going for hundreds of pounds even if they are only fit to be a boat anchor.

Retro MTB is still at the stage where people throw out "worthless" bikes. That's my opinion anyway. Yes there are some expensive retro bikes but they come from people who know their rarity and value.

BMX was part of a youth/ cultural explosion that featured in films and TV

Disenchanted yoof were always on a BMX, drug dealers were always on a BMX

ET was in a BMX

Nichole Kidmans' arse was on a BMX

Being muddy and unrecognisable in the early 90's doesnt quite have the same impact

1*Q0_IhNZG5IBN-gSXK0dM9w.png

118acf33a1408baf154b68cc22d262ff.jpg

If the Goonies had ridden MTBs, it may be a different story

goonies-movie-today-150603-tease_478da3c8deb81d8c654ca8fdc621c1d05b4c3df8d4.jpg

Cant even find any reference to Point Break, Independence day has Jeff Goldblum riding on a no decal Cannondale

Sorry, MTBs just didnt have that same media/ cultural/ yoof impact that the BMX managed.

BMX was sexy, it was colourful, just about any small wheel catalog bike could pass itself off as a BMX without snarky comments towards the 200GS rear mech

...and there was no lycra

So, it will be just a hardcore of old beardy weirdy types pushing up prices for a brief moment and mattr telling everyone his new 2043 hoverbike is sooo much better than his 'retro' 2025 jet bike

*oh and the Americans have rediscovered their heritage over the last ten years so cars, bikes, anything from the past is getting far more sort after

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39068/pra ... at-auction

Seem to have watched quite a few of Rob's videos recently. His passion for retrobikes really shines through on this though :LOL:

legrandefromage":19132dah said:
Independence day has Jeff Goldblum riding on a no decal Cannondale

You absolutely beautiful man you!!

Everytime I've watched that I have wondered what it was, it seems to have full xt on from what I could work out, I don't know the model code but it was about 94 when it was all still cantis and said 'slr plus' on them I think!

Glad you've said that as I've always wondered :D

Back