Road Cassette on MTB Freehub.

eBay_special

Devout Dirtbag
Hello again mes amis,

Well looks like the good old Shimano CS-M950 ti cassette has died on my wife's Kona. New KHC 8 speed chain fitted yesterday; all lovely apart from the jumping on 5, 6 and 7 - the gears she's used the most. It is not an adjustment or jockey wheel matter - that is all spot-on.
Sadly these cassettes aren't available any more so it appears necessary to visit our chums in the US of A for their titanium cassettes or consider alternatives; maintaining the reduced weight being important here.

My lightbulb-over-head moment came with a thought about a Dura Ace steel 8 running on the existing Shimano freehub.

Has anyone done this (or similar), will Dura Ace splining match the MTB freehub, will the cassette and spacers all drop on without drama and bolt up with existing lock nut, is this a bad idea with the individual sprockets cutting (and consequently) chattering on the hub and/or are there any other factors I need to weigh please?

As ever, all contributions are very welcome.....I lament the loss :cry: especially at that price! :x, so a constructive way out is sought and I'm sure someone on Retrobike had this nailed long ago.

Very many thanks for all help.

ebay_special

Unless the DuraAce kit is somehow completely different from everything else Shimano (and sometimes it can be BUT I think all cassettes are the same - I do have a weird Dura-ace vrankset though) then it will work fine.

If the freehub has a steel body then the individual cogs will be fine. If it's a ali freehub (like my Hope is) then I'd go for the cassettes that have the carriers rather than individual cogs as they do dig in the freehub and damage it eventually.

You can run Dura Ace cassettes (certainly the 8 speed ones) on MTB freehubs no problem.

I ran Dura Ace cassettes on my 4X and DH bikes for years (Hope and Shimano Hubs by the way)... ;)

....and there was I hoping that someone had a NOS XTR m-950 to toss my way for a swift tenner :LOL: Oh well.

Many thanks to Rob and Barney for their thoughts.
They literally drop straight onto the steel freehub, yes? No extra spacers for gap-filling etc etc?

Molto appreciation once again chaps.......

ebay_special

eBay_special":14k4ubk9 said:
....and there was I hoping that someone had a NOS XTR m-950 to toss my way for a swift tenner :LOL: Oh well.

Many thanks to Rob and Barney for their thoughts.
They literally drop straight onto the steel freehub, yes? No extra spacers for gap-filling etc?
ebay_special

Yes it'll go straight on. I've done it the other way round with a 11-32 9sp cassette on my road wheels too. :-D

MikeD - thanks for your input.

Yes the ti XTR cassette is an 11-28 and the hub is the original XT Parallax fitted to the Kona Kilauea in 1997 when I bought it. I'm sensing difficulty; might this just apply to an 11T DA set-up only and can you elaborate on the "fettling" please? OK checked supplied link - seems explanatory.

Thank you.

ebay_special

Back