Road bike beyond repair ?

night-owl

Retro Newbie
Hello,

My father who passed away just over 1 yr ago was a passionate road cyclist and many years ago the attached was his bike. I would like to start using it and would like advise on if this is viable, from what I see, it needs a chain and a couple of tyres. The frame is a bit rusty as you can see.

If this is viable, who would be my best bet for the tyres, Evan's Bikes, Decathlon etc ?

All I can make out is it's made by Keniston's in a lightweight range and this was a bike builder in Romford Essex.

Thoughts please.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_143438.jpg
    IMG_20210416_143438.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210416_143416.jpg
    IMG_20210416_143416.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210416_143451.jpg
    IMG_20210416_143451.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210416_143405.jpg
    IMG_20210416_143405.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 77
Welcome. Looks like a smart bike from the 60's to early 70's. Bikes of this era are really low tech and a bit of you tubing and Google is your starter here. I'd buy a cheap set of clincher wheels rather than try and rebuild the old tubular wheels that I think you have.

Welcome. Looks like a smart bike from the 60's to early 70's. Bikes of this era are really low tech and a bit of you tubing and Google is your starter here. I'd buy a cheap set of clincher wheels rather than try and rebuild the old tubular wheels that I think you have.
Thank you Midlife, their was me googling 26inch * 1inch Tubeless Tyres and not finding much, bang out of luck for a quick trip to decathlon to fit me some new tyres and a chain then I guess. Would I be wasting money and I would be better buying a new bike say around 1K from Evan's or Decathlon ?. Thank you

Nice looking bike - I agree it looks like you have tubular tyres (tubs for short) so they'll be glued onto the rims.
The spokes look pretty rusty so would probably need replacing before trying to ride far, so new wheels might be best all round.
It shouldn't be too hard to get hold of some good quality 2nd hand ones to suit the bike. I'd strip off the handlebar tape and make sure the 'bars are in good nick as well - any corrosion under that tape could have weakened the 'bars.

Don't let that put you off though, it should be a nice riding machine once it's all serviced and cleaned up.

Mark.

Not suggesting buying a new bike, would make a real nice ride when fettled. What I meant to say was don't be scared to take it apart, clean the bits and get it back going again. Only basic tools needed (apart from crank extractor), cables, brake blocks, and grease.

Would be way cheaper than a new bike. :)

Hello, Just had a pull on the tyres and certainly the tyres were stuck to the rim's, in fact I think 1/2 tyres is still stuck to the rim's. I will google 'Clincher Wheels', No rust or anything underneath tape. I will try and convince Decathlon to fit a chain for me. With respect to the rust on frame, should I sand it with something or just leave it ?

Thank you

Something like this should get the wheels sorted

The 130 is the space in mm between the rear dropouts. Bar end shifters can be fiddly so might want to swap to downtube shifters.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You can fit a chain yourself but will need a new freewheel to match.

First thing to check BEFORE DOING ANYTHING is that don't he seat and handlebars move.

Rust doesn't look too bad, for the moment I'd just clean it up. Google for oily rag restoration :)

Thank you all, really positive feed back. I have booked it into a local bike shop that just got recommended to me by a colleague that I know likes his bike riding. The shop said will take a look and give me price for 2 new wheels, fit chain, give bike a service i.e bare minimum. I can then use that to see the difference in trying to fix bike myself using wheels recommended in ebay link above. Much appreciated to all.

Back