Ritchey Super Comp 87 Fillet Brazed hand made,my dream bike

Monomusic

Old School Hero
Ritchey Super Comp 1987 Not the fastest ,Not the lightest , Not the newest , not the oldest but my favorite bike I so far..

This is the final version of this bike. , I decide not to keep all catalog parts on the bike , but replace few parts ,so I can enjoy the bike.

I can easily restore it back to catalog when I decide to display the bike until then I would prefer to keep the bike this way.

Appreciate all the comments ,but some time you need to decide what make you happiest .

With the new wheel set this bike weight is 10.68 KG .. whole bike.

********************Original Post*********************************
I just purchase this lovely bike recently it is 16" which is very rare size , so I need to pay more compare to standard size. From the serial number , I am sure not many were made and according to catalog 18" is smallest. I just can not believe it arrived safely in my hand now :) my dream bike

My original plan is to ride it as is ,but after I had a few rides .... I love the feeling ... I love it more than my favorite P-23 ,so I want to upgrade few parts in order to ride it comfortably .

Still work in progress , I try to keep part as original as possible , I plan to use most original parts in order to switch back to original build by replacing just the wheel. Head set and BB are not in good working condition ,standard service will not be enough.

I decide to use NOS phil BB my favorite love this more than modern Cermic BB , For head set since it is require force to remove .. I will pick heavy duty headset ,so I don't have to hurt my frame in a long long time.

This is all original parts from 87 , only saddle and tires are not original;

Below is image of original bike that I got

COMPONENTS:
· SHIMANO XT BRAKE LEVERS
· SHIMANO DEORE XT CANTILEVER BRAKES - Replace with black
· SHIMANO DEORE XT FRONT DERAILLEUR
· SHIMANO DEORE XT REAR DERAILLEUR 6 SP
· SHIMANO DEORE XT FRONT AND REAR HUBS
· SUNTOUR XC PEDALS
· SHIMANO XT CRANKSET 170mm - Replace with black
· SHIMANO DEORE XT BOTTOM BRACKET - Replace with Phil
· SHIMANO DEORE XT THUMB SHIFTERS 6x3 SP
· SHIMANO XT BRAKE LEVERS
· WTB SST SADDLE
· SHIMANO DURA ACE HEADSET - Will replace with Black King
· SUNTOUR XC SEAT POST - Replace with Niito Black while waiting for XT730
· RITCHEY 22" HANDLE BAR
· RITCHEY CUSTOM FILLET BRAZED 6" STEM
· ARAYA RM20 RIMS 26” - still testing to find best match - fell like I will switch this often .

All original part will be kept safely in case I need to restore everything back to original state.

I already replace BB - with Phils and Head set will use King ,but still need some additional work . Change front cantilever brake and crank to same model ,but back color. Still waiting for XT730 seat post in back .. on the way now .

Re: Ritchey Super Comp 87,my dream bike

Start working and cleaning after few rides.

Would like to keep original part as much as possible , but for headset and BB , I prefer to change for ride quality .

I swap parts around to test , this is definitely not the final version , and I will not use this wheel set. it is more to test the look..

- Already replace BB with Phil wood, much better :)
- I will keep the black crank
- Seatpost will be replace with XT730 black .. on the way...
- Wheel set , still look something that does not look to contrast and good quality
- I will switch back to original yellow fillet brazed stem

still working on replacing headset and waiting for fews parts.

Re:

That was one hell of a nice and beautiful bike. I nearly got a heart attack when i saw what you did with it.
Hopefully you change your mind and build it like you got. Exept for the bluewalls.
All the best
Cheers Kay

Very nice mate except for those wheels as they just look to modern imho so when you swapping back to the others ..

Re:

Looked great to start with ....

I was glad to read you'll use color matched fillet brazed stem. It's perfect for the bike. And I hope you decide to go with different wheels that suit the bike, but the before/after pics made me gag.

Glad to read it isn't finished yet.... a blacked out build can work. XT730 seatpost is too new for the bike. Any other black options....American Classic?

Re:

Thank you very much for your concern , i do too no worry .. Originally , i plan to keep it as is ,but once I ride... I change my mind ... This bike will be my new mate.I will try to keep same era part as much as possible ,but for BB and Headset , I needto replace with good qualit one ,so I don't have to service this bike too often

No worries, I am just playing around with it.. I still wait for other parts for full service and definately , i will not use spenergy wheel.. It kills charactor of the bike not just the look ,but softride charactor also.

Still looking for good wheelset ... Testing 3 already ...It will be newer than it' s era similar look ,sice I need good wheel also.. This bike will be my regular ride. .. :)

Thanks for the tips will look for American classic seat post for sure..

All original part will be kept to restore it back once i decide to hang it on the wall when i get older

The best option that I get for now is NOS White Industries Wheelset Hubs Wheelsmith .. with Black tyre .. not from correct period and too new ,but as my regular ride bike .. I also need something better than old wheel. I will use 8sp cassette and run only 6 SP using original shifter it work really well.. actually... I also have Mavic cross max ,but too far new .. I also having shop building Phil set.. ,but I need good rim..

I will use this set until I can fine better matched. and no worry old set will be kept ..

Thanks for all the comment..

atta boy - build 'er up with new/top quality stuff ... ride the wheels off the thing ... and then you can put all the original stuff back on it again afterwards.

Back