Right photo help ..

Cristian-T

Retro Guru
Hey mods admins and presidents

Just looked up the “site info” link, no current advice Re posting pics.

I have a ton of pics, been on here since 2006.. only posted a few. Tons of stories, tons of cool stuff

I’ve just never been arsed with the hassle of photo sizes.. please excuse me! I did download one app to re size them, but it’s full of ads and very ltd.

What’s the latest, easiest way to do so ?

Cheers guys! I’d love to contribute more

Cristian

Re:

I use picture hosting, some are free to use such as IBB or Imgur.

Give one a try

Don't bother with photobucket though.

RBG

I use Imagebb
Gives you the option of posting the images direct and re sizing or just posting the link.

Re:

It can depend what device or devices you are using.

I used to upload my photos to Photobucket then just post the link, until they wanted to charge - so all links broke or lead to blurred out images, and I had to spend ages removing and replacing the photos.

Now I just attach the pics direct from my iPhone or iPad, as they give you a choice on image size to get below the sites 3mb limit.
One tip however to ensure pics post the correct way up is to simply crop the image before posting, as edited pics appear correctly orientated for some reason.

If I’m at my pc then simply opening the pic in ‘Paint’ allows you to re-size pixel ratios manually to get below the 3mb limit also.

I upload directly. I use an app called Lit Photo to reduce size if uploading & posting from phone. On PC I upload pic from phone to Facebook & save from there - as facebook resizes on the fly it's always small enough to upload here.

Re:

I just uploaded this one at random, straight from my laptop. It's 4.1MB, 3264x2448 pixels. I think the maximum size was possible increased, a while ago now.

Attachments

• IMG_6794 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6794 - Copy.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 215
I upload straight to here from my laptop.

The size limit has been increased, as stated above, so i can upload without re-sizing images now.

The issue with image hosting sites, and one that has ruined a lot of this sites greatest posts, is they are not guaranteed permanent. If for any reason the hosting site goes down or starts charging for example, the images are lost, unless the owner goes through their listings and replaces every one of them. Uploading direct to the site will ensure the image is preserved for as long as the site is, which is really useful as the site is a valuable resource of information and history.

mk one":138tdvnf said:
I upload straight to here from my laptop.

The size limit has been increased, as stated above, so i can upload without re-sizing images now.

The issue with image hosting sites, and one that has ruined a lot of this sites greatest posts, is they are not guaranteed permanent. If for any reason the hosting site goes down or starts charging for example, the images are lost, unless the owner goes through their listings and replaces every one of them. Uploading direct to the site will ensure the image is preserved for as long as the site is, which is really useful as the site is a valuable resource of information and history.

That's an extremely valid reason to upload direct to the site when the content is such useful reference material for now & years to come. I partake of a site that doesn't allow image uploads & as photobucket was so popular, lost a lot of image content when they changed their T&C's. Even without that folk can delete content from such accounts. It isn't a reference site fortunately.

On my own forums we allow 10mb uploads & 3rd party hosting actively discouraged. Myself & mods will reload 3rd party images if we come across them. Modern server software will resize images on the fly & most images end up being 100-300kb & still high quality. Our biggest site has around 230,000 images hosted on it & we're years from needing to increase server space.

Latest posts

Back