Ribble frame quality

How good are older Ribble steel frames (80’s/90’s)? Anyone got any experience?

Basically my best bike is a ‘96 Peugeot Competition 3000 with Columbus Thron tuning with a Tiagra 4700 groupset and Ultegra wheels. The geometry is steep and tight and it rides really well and handles great (85km/h on descents and rock solid and responsive).

Thinking of upgrading the frame to something SL or SLX, and spied aa SL tubed Ribble at a good price (I’d want to repaint it though).
Just wondering whether it it would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant the effort and expense.
Also got my eye on a similarly aged Scapin with SLX but about three times the price but with nice paint and chrome. The brand snob in me would lean towards the Scapin but is that justified?

Any input welcome.

Re:

Not the same steel but I used to race a 531 Ribble in the 90's and found it a great frame.
Mike.

Others will know more than me, but my understanding is that Ribble got their steel frames from a number of builders, including Martelly from Belgium who build fine bikes.

There is a huge discussion to be had about what makes a good bike with,arguably, tubing being less important than the builder and the fit.

For me, a good bike is one that when you wake up on the morning and ir is heaving does rain you still smile and say “I want to ride that bike”.

DSH":2ydrzeo7 said:
Others will know more than me, but my understanding is that Ribble got their steel frames from a number of builders, including Martelly from Belgium who build fine bikes.
And some came from shit builders. Mate of mine had a saga with a number of cracked frames in the late 90's. Ribble gave him the run around.

Southwestslacker1":2xztawi1 said:
Interesting, bit of a gamble then. It looks nicely made but maybe better saving my pennies for something with real pedigree.

unlikely as the 90's are a long time ago and any shitters would have long been sorted.

Badge snobbery creeping in a bit!

Many 'brand' names had frames built by others and some very famous brands have released some very poor frames

Ride and if you dont like it, somebody else will!

Some Colombus frames were made by Frank Herety of Stockport, to special order. Frank's frames can identified by FH in the ser # located on the bb.

Latest posts

Back